Feature Requests and Feedback

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add User Defined function support to the Apps for Office Excel APIs

Add User Defined function support to the Apps for Office Excel APIs so that users can enter formulas in excel. User Defined Functions are one of the most powerful features of Excel (and some competitor spreadsheets products now available in the web). They are critical for us to make our Apps for Office product as powerful as our legacy on premise product.

219 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      15 comments  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Expose Workbook events via Excel JavaScript API

Similar to Document.SelectionChanged event, the following Workbook-level events would be useful to have exposed via the JavaScript API (in no particular order):

Activate,Deactivate
      BeforeSave,AfterSave
      BeforeClose
      Shutdown
      SheetActivate,SheetDeactivate
      SheetBeforeDoubleClick
      SheetBeforeRightClick
      SheetChange
      SheetSelectionChange

112 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        2 comments  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Brian, thank you for the feedback! More richer event framework is something we plan to implement. We recently added existing events API as part of Excel1.3 requirement-set. We will continue to build on this and look to add more event-related APIs. Currently, there is no timeline for design or API availability.

As always, when the design draft is ready, we’ll present design for review under the open-spec branches of this repository: https://github.com/officedev/office-js-docs.

Thanks!
        Office Extensibility Team

• Extend the getFileAsync functionality to work on Excel as well.

Extend the getFileAsync functionality to work on Excel as well. It's essential in order to be able to export the file to a web service.

94 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          5 comments  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Add a method to copy a sheet with all data and formatting because there are no back-up or undo options for add-ins.

Since there is no way to cancel the changes made by an add-in, we need to provide users with backup options.

The current version of JavaScript API for Excel doesn't have a method for copying a sheet with its data and formatting, there are no elegant and fast workarounds available.

Could you please let us know if it's possible to add this method to JavaScript API for Excel?

83 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            1 comment  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Ability to open/replace workbook with Excel JS API in a similar way Word API can with insertFileFromBase64

We have a requirement to load a workbook from a remote source from within the add-in. User logs in, selects from a list and workbook template loads.

With the Word JS API we can load a template remotely using an AJAX call that returns the workbook as a base64 string and then insert the response into the current workbook using the replace option. AFAIK this doesn't exist for the Excel API and we download the workbook and then instruct the user to open from the download pane.

82 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

Mark, thank you for the feedback! We are currently trying to determine the feasibility both in terms of design and usability – especially in the online experience where the concept of ‘application’ is different. We will share any updates with you.

As always, when the design draft is ready, we’ll present design for review under the open-spec branches of this repository: https://github.com/officedev/office-js-docs.

Thanks!

• Fix the issue with new JavaScript API for Excel: any change by an add-in clears the Undo/Redo stack.

You can try to run this code and check the Undo/Redo stack:
              Excel.run(function (ctx) {
              return ctx.sync();
              });

63 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                3 comments  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Renat, thanks for reporting this issue! We are aware of this and the bug is currently being patched. Note that the undo stack will be removed upon any “update” action occurring in the add-in. For read actions, we’ll preserve the undo-stack. We’ll let you know when this is available.

Thanks,

• Create a function to bring in cell Comments into an app create using Javascript API, to bring in Comments explaining a value.

Create a function to bring in cell Comments into an app create using JavaScript API, to bring in Comments explaining a value. If I create a visualization app in Excel, for example and there are outliers in the data. The users can Insert comment into Excel cell and the app can add it into the visualization.

51 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  4 comments  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Ability to manipulate Excel comments

Please add the ability to create, delete, and modify Excel Comments on specific cells using Office.js

41 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    4 comments  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Add worksheet activate/deactivate; workbook shutdown events to the Office Add-in Javascript APIs

The enhanced Excel-specific APIs available for developing Office Add-ins that run with Excel 2016 are a nice start. There are some key missing APIs. One area in need of extending is eventing. For workbooks that contain multiple worksheets, it is critical for the Add-in to be able to determine when a worksheet is activated/deactivated so that the Add-in's UI can adapt accordingly. Similarly, the Office Add-in should be able to hook an event so that when the workbook gets closed/shut down (and maybe Saved), the Add-in can persist in-memory state into the workbook.

30 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Shaun, thank you for the feedback! More richer event framework is something we plan to implement. We recently added existing events API as part of Excel1.3 requirement-set. We will continue to build on this and look to add more event-related APIs. Currently, there is no timeline for design or API availability.

As always, when the design draft is ready, we’ll present the design for review under the open-spec branches of this repository: https://github.com/officedev/office-js-docs.

Thanks!

• Allow Officejs to open external excel workbook programatically

There should be a way to open a external excel workbook by providing URL for that file on excel online via officejs. so that user can open a template stored on some other server which contains desired formatting and named-ranges which can be modified on Excel Online

30 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        5 comments  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Writable NamedItemCollection

The ability to update, delete and insert into the Named Item Collection items for excel named ranges.

30 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Add Abitility to create pivot Table via Office Javascript API

In the current version of the office javascript api I can see that the setSelectedDataAsync method allow only inserting text, matrix and table into excel spreadsheet.

I would like to see the javascript api enhanced and allow inserting pivot Table also. In this way I can use pivot Table helpers (such as slicer, fields list ....) and also refresh pivot table programmatically.

29 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Provide more information with the Binding.BindingDataChanged event (for Excel table bindings)

The current BindingDataChangedEventArgs object passed to the event handler for the Binding.BindingDataChanged event only contains properties for the binding that raised the event and the type of event. There is no specific information about what cells, columns, or rows in the table object were changed. When dealing with tables with many rows and columns and/or end-user gestures that edit/insert/delete many cells/rows/columns at once, this API is not very useful. Contrast this to the (Excel) COM APIs where, at least, the SheetChanged event provides a Range object that describes what was changed.

27 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

Shaun, thank you for the feedback! More richer event framework is something we plan to implement. We recently added existing events API as part of Excel1.3 requirement-set. We will continue to build on this and look to add more event-related APIs. Currently, there is no timeline for design or API availability.

As always, when the design draft is ready, we’ll present the design for review under the open-spec branches of this repository: https://github.com/officedev/office-js-docs.

Thanks!

• Excel - Add CopyWorksheet

We have a need to repeat the same formatted Worksheet over and over based on selections made by the user. It would be great to setup a template so that same worksheet can be copied. The worksheet has all formatting including printing stuff in place already. Be great to just be able to copy that and fill in the data.

26 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Allow Office Add-in in Excel to configure a cell so that user chooses value from a list of values

Enhance the Office JavaScript APIs (for Excel 2016+) to expose a mechanism (perhaps a Validation relationship or property) that allows the developer to configure a cell so that the end-user selects the value for the cell by picking from a list of values. The list of values might be specified by some other range. In a VSTO add-in (and native Excel) this can be achieved by configuring the Data Validation properties on a cell/range.

25 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Implement Conditional Formatting Editing

The ability to edit conditional formatting in OfficeJS Excel API.

21 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Excel Apps - Ability to create Pivots programatically

Having the ability to create custom pivots programmatically would be useful feature for reporting latest data for better user experience.

18 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Enable Access to Excel/VBA Hierarchy in Visual Studio Mac

Enable Visual Studio Mac to use the VBA hierarchy.
                                      This will enable VB.Net to automate Excel Mac.
                                      This will provide a relatively painless, powerful migration path for VBA devs.

18 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Automate Task Pane Insertion into Excel

Excel Addin
                                        I want to insert the task Pane Addin into my excel file using Powershell script.
                                        We deploy add-in in SharePoint catalog and then manually insert into excel files.
                                        This is preventing use from getting into automated deployment.

16 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Support for embedding Office.js manifest inside workbook

Currently, the workbook has to have a reference to a manifest stored elsewhere. Managing the manifest in a catalog is inconvenient.

Please provide the support for embedding the manifest in the workbook directly so that the solution is self-contained.

In particular, the source location and app domains are the key elements to include in the workbook.

We are not asking for any special API to embed this information. Just publish the schema for the xml parts.

The key ask here is that Excel be able to read this information from inside the workbook and load the Office.js (Excel) add-in without…

16 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base