Feedback by UserVoice

Feature Requests and Feedback

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fix issue with JavaScript for Excel: any undo action in the sheet causes BindingDataChanged event

In the Excel 2016 JavaScript API any Undo action by the user in the sheet causes BindingDataChanged event to fire even if the undo doesn't impact the bindings data.

If there a lot of bindings in a single sheet this could impact the performance to the user since the event will be called unnecessarily.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow macros for web Excel

Would like to be able to use macros when file is uploaded to Excel Web.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add support to Office Add-in Excel Javascript APIs to allow use of Named styles

The enhanced Excel-specific APIs available for developing Office Add-ins that run with Excel 2016 are a nice start. There are some key missing APIs. One area in need of extending is the ability to use Named Styles defined in the workbook - to be able to apply them to ranges via the Javascript API.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. 16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. provide capability to execute excel macro via officejs

provide capability to execute excel macro via officejs.
    i want to execute macro once all my data is loaded

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Fix issue with changing size and position of Content Add-in in Excel when spreadsheet has more then one sheet

Issue is happening for any Content app in Excel Online only when more than one sheet is present in the document. Reproducible in Internet Explorer v. 11 and Chrome v. 46.
    Steps to reproduce:
    1. Create new Excel document
    2. Add new Sheet
    3. Add any Content Add-in (f.e. 'Bubbles')
    4. Try to move or resize Add-in
    Result: 'Something went wrong' error message
    Networking tab shows that error is returned for request https://excel.officeapps.live.com/x/vtibin/EwaInternalWebService.json/MoveAndResizeFloatingObject

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Allow Office Add-in in Excel to read Named Style formatting properties

In the absence of the ability for a Javascript Office Add-in to apply Named Styles to a range of cells in an Excel worksheet (see: https://officespdev.uservoice.com/forums/224641-general/suggestions/10694052-add-support-to-office-add-in-excel-javascript-apis), a intermediate solution would be for the Add-in to be able to interrogate the Named Style for its formatting properties (alignment, font, etc.) and then use the existing Excel 2016 Office Add-in APIs to apply formats that are equivalent to the Named Style (or nearly so).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Provide a feature that allows EXCEL to read back verbally numbers within a range. This would allow a user to back check their entries.

I often enter long tables of number into my spread sheets. It would be nice to have feature that would allow you to highlight a range of cells, which would activate EXCEL to repeat each entry verbally (via headphones/speakers) back to the user so they may back check their entries.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Check the getFileAsync function funcionality in Excel Online

I've developed a very simple task pane add-in with Visual Studio 2015.
    I used the sample they have when you chose the template in Visual Studio. I changed it so I could run it in Internet Explorer in a SharePoint site. And when I click the button I call the getFileAsync function with the parameters: Office.FileType.Compressed, sliceSize: 2MG and the call back function which has a very simple console.log instruction ([as explained here]http://stackoverflow.com/questions/32078546/javascript-api-for-office-getfileasync-function-is-not-calling-callback) Yet I cannot get the console.log.. In fact, the last thing I get in the Javascript console is "Agave.HostCall.IssueCall" ..
    How can I solve this?…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Allow custom charts to be build on pivottables

We are developing an excel app that uses javascript charting libraries. We are able to connect to plain data and named tables, but the office.js API does not support pivot table connections. (if it does, please let us know, because we can`t find any documentation). having the ability to connect your own chart to a dynamic pivottable is key for any Business Intelligence report environment.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Programmatic access to C.R.U.D the PowerPivot Data Model

Programmatic CRUD of Data Model in Excel. Previously developers had full VBA access to manipulate recordsets. All this functionality has not been taken away with the introduction of the PowerPivot Data model. Microsoft will simply be bringing back what made Excel the most popular tool on the planet ... the ability to script and automate!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add tooltips to Excel spreadsheet tabs

Add the ability to put mouseover tooltips on the spreadsheet tabs in excel. This way if there are a lot of spreadsheets, abbreviations can be used so that more tabs can fit at the bottom of the screen and if a user is unsure what the abbreviation is they can mouseover the tab and see the whole name. Alternatively, the tooltip could be used to give a description of the contents of the tab.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Allow to change content app size using api

Usually Excel Online and app for Office are on the different domains, so we can not access parent window document. Ability to control application size would improve usability a lot.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Remove Changes Made by the Javascript API for Office from the Undo Stack

I'm developing an app for Excel 2013. I have a binding, and I have an event tied to when text is updated in the binder. Text being updated fires the event which updates my sidebar app. This update causes my app to update a hidden column of 1s and 0s to control my conditional formatting, to highlight and unhighlight rows.

The problem that I'm running into is that I have lost the ability to use the Undo command. When I update a cell, the app instantly updates the conditional highlighting control column. I then can't update the change that I…

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Want to open the developer reference directly from Excel developer

Hi,
    I want to open the developer reference directly from excel developer when it is open.
    Is there a way to do so by clicking only on the help (blue) button?
    Should I put the file I downloaded in a specific folder or do anything else?

Fabio Perna
    mailto:engfabioperna@gmail.com

1/9/15 - Dev Docs Shield Team - This is a feature request (and a pretty trivial one at that).

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. 6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Javascript API: Trigger the AutoFormat functionality of Office

I sometimes use use SetDataAsync to write an email address into a cell. When this is done manually, Excel converts it into a clickable link. When it is done with SetDataAsync, this auto formatting doesn't happen. If would be great if it was just automatically triggered.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Only fire BindingDataChange event when cell data changes

Currently it fires on scroll or changing formatting or cell width or a bunch of other random situations. Additionally, it should probably only fire when the user actually changes something, not when I write something with the API

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your request!

We are collecting API requirements for developing Office Add-ins in Excel, specifically for Events API.

If you are considering moving an existing COM/VSTO/VBA Add-in to Office Add-in, or creating a new Office Add-in in Excel, and have events requirements, please fill the survey below and help us focus on the right set of events and design. We truly appreciate your help!

https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=v4j5cvGGr0GRqy180BHbR-JHDwXr1WhPtbjLQNPOgHtUOFhNTTRVNEE5WE9VVzExOVY5Tko2V05TSi4u

Thanks!
    Office Extensibility Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base