Feedback by UserVoice

Feature Requests and Feedback

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Provide way in VBA to know who, if anyone, is currently coauthoring a OneDrive/Office365 document

There are certain functions and events (only tested in Excel .xlsm desktop) that don't work when a document is in coauthor mode using OneDrive/Office365 syncing. If only one person is in the file, the macros work fine. If more than one are in it and co-authoring it would be good to know so certain macros can be prevented from running that otherwise cause the "Reload document" message on the computer that didn't run the macro.
    Some of the VBA that doesn't work during coauthoring include all .FormatConditions code (even though you can manually add conditional formatting, doing it by VBA…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add the option to aply filters to an excel range from office js

A excel user can apply a fitler to the title column of a range by using the (start > sorting and filtering > filter)
    this isnt posible yet using the office-js libarary.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Find the dirty(edited) cell/cells from excel sheet using Excel JavaScript API

How to find the dirty cell/cells from excel sheet using Excel Javascript API.

If a cell is edited by value / formula / format, that became dirty. So I need to find, what are all the cells are dirty(edited) from range of cells.

Please refer this stack over flow link - https://stackoverflow.com/questions/50817709/find-the-dirtyedited-cell-cells-from-excel-sheet-using-excel-javascript-api

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Fix issue with changing size and position of Content Add-in in Excel when spreadsheet has more then one sheet

Issue is happening for any Content app in Excel Online only when more than one sheet is present in the document. Reproducible in Internet Explorer v. 11 and Chrome v. 46.
    Steps to reproduce:
    1. Create new Excel document
    2. Add new Sheet
    3. Add any Content Add-in (f.e. 'Bubbles')
    4. Try to move or resize Add-in
    Result: 'Something went wrong' error message
    Networking tab shows that error is returned for request https://excel.officeapps.live.com/x/vtibin/EwaInternalWebService.json/MoveAndResizeFloatingObject

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Console output viewer for Office.js add-ins

Although you can see JavaScript console output in Visual Studio if you run the Office.js add-in from VS, there is apparently no way to see this output when running outside of VS. Since Excel is the host of IE used to render the Office.js addin, perhaps these teams could collaborate to provide a console output viewer in Excel. This feature would greatly ease development and debugging.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow Taskpane Addin's and custom functions to control content addins

This would allow the ability to have the menu system outside of the content add-in. In addition would provide the ability to seamlessly bring in other charting libraries for more complicated live charting of financial data.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Fix an issue on excel custom-function about data formatting on date/time

User can't customise date format of the data that has been rendered by custom-function - dynamic array formula.

for more info: https://github.com/OfficeDev/office-js/issues/1068

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. allow add-in to use user's authorizations

An add-in that has been installed, and approved should not have to initiate another oauth flow to have access to documents on a sharepoint site, onedrive site, onedrive for business site,etc.
    The API should make this readily available when the user is logged in, and has already granted permissions to the add-in itself.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Enable recalculation in JavaScript API at worksheet-level, workbook-level and range-level

At the moment, we could recalculate all currently open workbooks in JavaScript API. It would be necessary to be able to trigger recalculation at worksheet-level, workbook-level and range-level.

For a comparison, all the recalculation mentioned above are possible in Excel COM (VBA & .NET).

Formulas are the essence to make an Excel a "program" rather than a database. Recalculation of formulas is how an Excel as a program executes. It is necessary to give developers have more control of these essences of Excel.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Provide a feature which enables to create the bindings to named range which has multiple ranges in it

Can you please provide a feature which enables to create the bindings to named range which has multiple non contiguous ranges in it ?.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your request!

We are collecting API requirements for developing Office Add-ins in Excel, specifically for Events API.

If you are considering moving an existing COM/VSTO/VBA Add-in to Office Add-in, or creating a new Office Add-in in Excel, and have events requirements, please fill the survey below and help us focus on the right set of events and design. We truly appreciate your help!

https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=v4j5cvGGr0GRqy180BHbR-JHDwXr1WhPtbjLQNPOgHtUOFhNTTRVNEE5WE9VVzExOVY5Tko2V05TSi4u

Thanks!
    Office Extensibility Team

11. Allow macros for web Excel

Would like to be able to use macros when file is uploaded to Excel Web.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Insert picture/shape in Excel range

Like inserting shapes in a worksheet it would be useful to insert pictures in a range/cell. The range/cell acts as an anchor.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add ability to refresh a chart from Javascript

Sometimes a chart connected to a table is not refreshed on all table changes. For sample if I delete and add rows to a table, the chart is refreshed, but after calling table.reapplyFilters() it is not.
    Please, add ability to refresh a chart on demand.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. HTML in a shape

Please add a feature to render html inside a shape similar to that of addTextBox can we get a addHtml feature so that we can save html styled content along with the document

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Remove Changes Made by the Javascript API for Office from the Undo Stack

I'm developing an app for Excel 2013. I have a binding, and I have an event tied to when text is updated in the binder. Text being updated fires the event which updates my sidebar app. This update causes my app to update a hidden column of 1s and 0s to control my conditional formatting, to highlight and unhighlight rows.

The problem that I'm running into is that I have lost the ability to use the Undo command. When I update a cell, the app instantly updates the conditional highlighting control column. I then can't update the change that I…

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Fix Excel Online unsupported features forcing a save to new file

Support for opening Excel documents online now extends to ignoring included VBA, shapes, etc. so the workbook can be opened.

Unfortunately editing a workbook that includes any of these features forces the user to save another copy of the workbook that also dumps this content. Often a user only wishes to modify cell values or representation to update the workbook but this approach prevents even minor modifications and basic collaboration.

Perhaps a better model would be to provide an option to support the editing of workbooks that include these unsupported features after a warning that some elements are not supported.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. copy and paste the required exist excel file into another excel page.

if we can copy and paste the multiple excel files into the one excel sheet without enter into the excel file, that will be helpful for us.

Previous method:
    i have 7 sepereate excel ( xls and xlsx ) files. So if we want to move the sheet from old excel file to new one, we have to open the excel file first, then we have to copy that sheet, then we can move it to new one. So if you want to move the 7 seperate excel files, you have to open one by one, then you can move…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. User information

There should be API using which we at least get User information like User Name, User email id etc,

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Allow ripping out of workbooks/worksheets from Excel into a new window

One of the most annoying parts of working with office is that the worksheets and workbooks still behave the same as they did in the 90s. I want to be able to rip out workbooks and worksheets into their own window, to better make use of my multi-monitor or wide-monitor setup.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Bug: Error 429: You do not have an appropriate license to use this functionality

Hi, I reported the following to Microsoft Customer Service and Support and the pointed me to this site to report this bug.

We have developed applications in Visual Basic 6, which are executed as COM Addin from Microsoft Excel.
    Customers who use the Office 365 Insider program suddenly received the following notification when using our application:

Error 429: You do not have an appropriate license to use this functionality

Research provided that this message is generated by customers who currently have Excel version 16.0.8326.2052.
    This version is currently distributed through the Office 365 Insider program, also with Office 365 business…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base