Feedback by UserVoice

Feature Requests and Feedback

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Update Office.js on NuGet

Been working with Excel and have been notified over the past several weeks, requests I made were updated however the last time Nuget.org was updated was 11/5/2015. Is there some other way I should be updating the Office.js scripts in my VS project? I know this isn't a suggestion but hopefully someone can comment and I can remove this.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add a "Convert to Number" button to Excel

There are only convoluted ways to convert many cells in Excel from text to number. Error checking won't appear soon for many cells, "Text to Columns" is not really for this, Paste Special, using functions, or macros are really not straightforward. Please add a "Convert to Number" button somewhere to the ribbon!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Office 2013 JavaScript API - Problem with indexing rows above 32'768 in bindingObj.setFormatsAsync

Hello there.

I can't mark rows with index above 32 768. I've got big amounts of data (even up to 1 milion) to validate, and I need to mark invalid cells/rows by background color or other formating options.

There's no effect on rows above that unfortunately "small int".

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Add select all (ctrl+a) and copy (ctrl+c) inside a cell in Excel

When a cell is in focus, allow the contents to be selected and copied

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Copy named table

There is no method currently in the API for copying a worksheet or a named table/range. It would be helpful to expose these features through the API. By copying a named table or a worksheet, it should copy all the formatting, formulas and data validations as well.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Extend the XLL addin api xlAddInManagerInfo12 to support more kinds of information

The XLL addin api xlAddInManagerInfo12 has a parameter to identify what kind of information Excel wants about your addin, but this parameter currently only ever has 1 value, to request your addin's title.
    Other kinds of addins (VBA, COM) can provide a full title and description to Excel, but XLL addins can only have a title. Please add an additional value to this function so that XLL addins can also have a description.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Add ability to refresh Power View from Javascript

If we have a Power View based on Excel Table, the Power View is not refreshed on table changes.
    Please, add ability to trigger a Power View refresh from Javascript API

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Fix Excel API - binding.getRange() returns the wrong address if the binding was created from bindings.addFromNamedItemAsync()

It returns the sheet name that was active when the call to addFromNamedItemAsync() was made and not the range of the actual named item. The cell range is correct though.

For example if the "MyNamedRange" which points to A1,B1,C1 is in Sheet1 to but the active sheet is Sheet2 when the binding is created then range.address = "Sheet2!$A$1:$C$1 after binding.getRange() and it should be Sheet1
    function getRangeAddressFromBinding()
    {
    Excel.run(function (ctx)
    {

var binding = ctx.workbook.bindings.getItem("myId");

var range = binding.getRange();

range.load('address');

return ctx.sync().then(function ()
    {
    write("Range address is " + range.address);
    });

})
    .catch(function (error)
    {

console.log("Error: " + error);

if
    6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Excel API - call to binding.getRange() on a deleted binding range corrupts the workbook file and needs repair when re-opened

If binding range is deleted by deleting all columns or rows of the range and then binding.getRange() is called it corrupts the workbook file and when re-opened the workbook needs repair (which will delete all the corrupt binding AND all other binding ranges in the same sheet that was corrupted).

This might not seem like a big deal at first but, in addition to this occurring when the user is in session with your add-in loaded, a lot can happen when your add-in is not loaded and when it is re-loaded you have to deal with these situations if you…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add worksheet activate/deactivate; workbook shutdown events to the Office Add-in Javascript APIs

The enhanced Excel-specific APIs available for developing Office Add-ins that run with Excel 2016 are a nice start. There are some key missing APIs. One area in need of extending is eventing. For workbooks that contain multiple worksheets, it is critical for the Add-in to be able to determine when a worksheet is activated/deactivated so that the Add-in's UI can adapt accordingly. Similarly, the Office Add-in should be able to hook an event so that when the workbook gets closed/shut down (and maybe Saved), the Add-in can persist in-memory state into the workbook.

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your request!

We are collecting API requirements for developing Office Add-ins in Excel, specifically for Events API.

If you are considering moving an existing COM/VSTO/VBA Add-in to Office Add-in, or creating a new Office Add-in in Excel, and have events requirements, please fill the survey below and help us focus on the right set of events and design. We truly appreciate your help!

https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=v4j5cvGGr0GRqy180BHbR-JHDwXr1WhPtbjLQNPOgHtUOFhNTTRVNEE5WE9VVzExOVY5Tko2V05TSi4u

Thanks!
    Office Extensibility Team

11. Fix issue with JavaScript for Excel: any undo action in the sheet causes BindingDataChanged event

In the Excel 2016 JavaScript API any Undo action by the user in the sheet causes BindingDataChanged event to fire even if the undo doesn't impact the bindings data.

If there a lot of bindings in a single sheet this could impact the performance to the user since the event will be called unnecessarily.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Allow macros for web Excel

Would like to be able to use macros when file is uploaded to Excel Web.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add support to Office Add-in Excel Javascript APIs to allow use of Named styles

The enhanced Excel-specific APIs available for developing Office Add-ins that run with Excel 2016 are a nice start. There are some key missing APIs. One area in need of extending is the ability to use Named Styles defined in the workbook - to be able to apply them to ranges via the Javascript API.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. provide capability to execute excel macro via officejs

provide capability to execute excel macro via officejs.
    i want to execute macro once all my data is loaded

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Fix issue with changing size and position of Content Add-in in Excel when spreadsheet has more then one sheet

Issue is happening for any Content app in Excel Online only when more than one sheet is present in the document. Reproducible in Internet Explorer v. 11 and Chrome v. 46.
    Steps to reproduce:
    1. Create new Excel document
    2. Add new Sheet
    3. Add any Content Add-in (f.e. 'Bubbles')
    4. Try to move or resize Add-in
    Result: 'Something went wrong' error message
    Networking tab shows that error is returned for request https://excel.officeapps.live.com/x/vtibin/EwaInternalWebService.json/MoveAndResizeFloatingObject

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Allow Office Add-in in Excel to read Named Style formatting properties

In the absence of the ability for a Javascript Office Add-in to apply Named Styles to a range of cells in an Excel worksheet (see: https://officespdev.uservoice.com/forums/224641-general/suggestions/10694052-add-support-to-office-add-in-excel-javascript-apis), a intermediate solution would be for the Add-in to be able to interrogate the Named Style for its formatting properties (alignment, font, etc.) and then use the existing Excel 2016 Office Add-in APIs to apply formats that are equivalent to the Named Style (or nearly so).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Provide a feature that allows EXCEL to read back verbally numbers within a range. This would allow a user to back check their entries.

I often enter long tables of number into my spread sheets. It would be nice to have feature that would allow you to highlight a range of cells, which would activate EXCEL to repeat each entry verbally (via headphones/speakers) back to the user so they may back check their entries.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Check the getFileAsync function funcionality in Excel Online

I've developed a very simple task pane add-in with Visual Studio 2015.
    I used the sample they have when you chose the template in Visual Studio. I changed it so I could run it in Internet Explorer in a SharePoint site. And when I click the button I call the getFileAsync function with the parameters: Office.FileType.Compressed, sliceSize: 2MG and the call back function which has a very simple console.log instruction ([as explained here]http://stackoverflow.com/questions/32078546/javascript-api-for-office-getfileasync-function-is-not-calling-callback) Yet I cannot get the console.log.. In fact, the last thing I get in the Javascript console is "Agave.HostCall.IssueCall" ..
    How can I solve this?…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base