Feedback by UserVoice

Feature Requests and Feedback

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow custom charts to be build on pivottables

We are developing an excel app that uses javascript charting libraries. We are able to connect to plain data and named tables, but the office.js API does not support pivot table connections. (if it does, please let us know, because we can`t find any documentation). having the ability to connect your own chart to a dynamic pivottable is key for any Business Intelligence report environment.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Programmatic access to C.R.U.D the PowerPivot Data Model

Programmatic CRUD of Data Model in Excel. Previously developers had full VBA access to manipulate recordsets. All this functionality has not been taken away with the introduction of the PowerPivot Data model. Microsoft will simply be bringing back what made Excel the most popular tool on the planet ... the ability to script and automate!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Add tooltips to Excel spreadsheet tabs

Add the ability to put mouseover tooltips on the spreadsheet tabs in excel. This way if there are a lot of spreadsheets, abbreviations can be used so that more tabs can fit at the bottom of the screen and if a user is unsure what the abbreviation is they can mouseover the tab and see the whole name. Alternatively, the tooltip could be used to give a description of the contents of the tab.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Allow to change content app size using api

Usually Excel Online and app for Office are on the different domains, so we can not access parent window document. Ability to control application size would improve usability a lot.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Remove Changes Made by the Javascript API for Office from the Undo Stack

I'm developing an app for Excel 2013. I have a binding, and I have an event tied to when text is updated in the binder. Text being updated fires the event which updates my sidebar app. This update causes my app to update a hidden column of 1s and 0s to control my conditional formatting, to highlight and unhighlight rows.

The problem that I'm running into is that I have lost the ability to use the Undo command. When I update a cell, the app instantly updates the conditional highlighting control column. I then can't update the change that I…

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Want to open the developer reference directly from Excel developer

Hi,
    I want to open the developer reference directly from excel developer when it is open.
    Is there a way to do so by clicking only on the help (blue) button?
    Should I put the file I downloaded in a specific folder or do anything else?

Fabio Perna
    mailto:engfabioperna@gmail.com

1/9/15 - Dev Docs Shield Team - This is a feature request (and a pretty trivial one at that).

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. 6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Javascript API: Trigger the AutoFormat functionality of Office

I sometimes use use SetDataAsync to write an email address into a cell. When this is done manually, Excel converts it into a clickable link. When it is done with SetDataAsync, this auto formatting doesn't happen. If would be great if it was just automatically triggered.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Only fire BindingDataChange event when cell data changes

Currently it fires on scroll or changing formatting or cell width or a bunch of other random situations. Additionally, it should probably only fire when the user actually changes something, not when I write something with the API

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your request!

We are collecting API requirements for developing Office Add-ins in Excel, specifically for Events API.

If you are considering moving an existing COM/VSTO/VBA Add-in to Office Add-in, or creating a new Office Add-in in Excel, and have events requirements, please fill the survey below and help us focus on the right set of events and design. We truly appreciate your help!

https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=v4j5cvGGr0GRqy180BHbR-JHDwXr1WhPtbjLQNPOgHtUOFhNTTRVNEE5WE9VVzExOVY5Tko2V05TSi4u

Thanks!
    Office Extensibility Team

11. Allow Excel to detect cells with functions

Enhance the Office JS API to allow Excel to warn/prevent writing on cells with functions insde

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Excel Apps - Enable Data validation support

Data Validation support is a key feature requirement for using Office Apps for OLTP systems.
    The main idea is to fill the gap between VSTO features and Office Apps. This will help in easy portability of VSTO based apps to Office apps.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add selected item information to query string also when opening app via Ribbon

When you open an app via Ribbon button no information is given about currently selected items.

In one scenario we needed a prominent button in the Ribbon to open an app that processes the currently selected item(s). Unfortunately this is not possible. You have to use a context menu action on an item to open the app and work on this item.

This information also needs to be available OOB to apps opened via Ribbon action.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Fix the issue when two panes shows up after double-clicking on the Ribbon button.

When I double-click on the Ribbon button to show the Excel task pane add-in, two panes show up. One of the panes may not work. After closing the panes, I can not show the TaskPane again. Only reloading the web page allows fixing the issue.
    The issue appears in the online Excel version only.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/60373734/double-clicking-from-ribbon-to-load-a-taskpane-breaks-functionality-which-preve

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Fix the bug when Desktop Excel hangs when the JavaScript getSelectedRanges method is called when a big range is selected

I am developing an Excel JS add-in that processes all selected ranges.
    When selecting a large range with data, such as A1:O1000000, desktop Excel hangs when I call the ctx.sync method after getting the ctx.workbook.getSelectedRanges() object.
    In Excel Online, this code works normally.

(Excel version is 16.0.12430.20172 64-bit)

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/60206581/desktop-excel-hangs-when-the-getselectedranges-method-is-called-in-a-workbook-wh

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 8 9 10 12 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base