Feedback by UserVoice

Feature Requests and Feedback

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Collapsible vba procedures

By default each procedure should only have the first procedure line (header) visible with an expand button to show all lines within the procedure. Currently a lot of time is spend scrolling through code.

I would also like to see the two drop downs for general and declarations changed to a tree view on the left so that I can more easily navigate procedures and methods.

194 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      10 comments  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Improve VBA IDE: Highlight start and end of Blocks e.g. If/End If, With/End With, Do/Loop etc

It would be great if the VBA IDE would highlight...

(a) The start and of Blocks such as If/End If. So if you highlighted the "If" the matching "End If" would also be highlighted. This would be great for both coding but also auditing inherited code.

(b) Highlight incomplete Blocks: so if you start "If" it's red until such time the closing "End If" is added

125 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        7 comments  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Improve VBA IDE (MS Access): better integration with SQL Server for query development in Access Front End

Access can link to SQL Server tables but it would great if it had the same intellisense that SQL Server has for writing SQL Statements directly into the VBA IDE. So if you referred to a linked (or local) table in your VBA code then typed the period, intellisense would show the available fields.

110 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          6 comments  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Exchange Online Protection - Powershell cmdlets to obtain status, to view message(headers), to release messages

As as administrator PowerShell is a powerful Tool to survey and handle various situations.

I'd really love the ability to get the status of our EOP quarantine - also to be able to release quarantine mail using PowerShell cmdlets.

It seems an omission this is not possible today.

2 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            2 comments  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Improve VBA IDE: Line numbering by default

Line numbering is essential for efficient error trapping. It would be great if the VBA had line numbering by default. To be effective, it should...

(a) automatically renumber when code is edited
            (b) be able to be toggled between show/hide

76 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              10 comments  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Open XML SDK - add a support to save Word docx as PDF. 3rd party tools are costly and do not render complex docx as SaveAs2 of Word Interop.

Word Interop is a nice solution, yet very slow (comparing to OpenXml) and unreliable (we encountered that if a user clicks Ctrl+C to copy something, whilst Interop is running in a background, generating multiple documents, its content will be pasted onto one of those documents, although the user intended to paste it somewhere else) . There are 3rd party solutions to save as PDF from OpenXml, yet they do not render correctly our relatively complex invoices (header with image and table, footer with table and so on), so for now we ended up to generate them all as docx and…

2 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • VBA IDE Github integration for working on code

I work in VBA alot at work and would be great to create repositories of VBA Code for editing from multiple machines and environments and tracking changes to Modules and classes. I don't get to use more advanced IDE's because of licensing issues and IA Security.

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Fix the position of the Find dialog in VBA editor for dual monitors

When using dual monitors, if you have the "Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications" window maximised on the left monitor, pressing Ctrl+F brings up the Find dialog in the centre of the window, as you'd expect.
                  However, if you have the VBA window on the right monitor, the Find dialog appears between the two displays, which isn't a great place for it.

When the window is maximised, the Find dialog shouldn't try to appear off to one side of the VBA window, but instead just centre itself on the VBA window.

5 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • In the Access VBA reference, include the Access version(s) in which the feature is available

In the Access VBA reference (the Access Object Model documentation), please include the version in which each feature was introduced. That is, on each page describing a particular Object, Event, Method or Property, it would be useful to know in which version of Access it was introduced. That will make it possible to design in one version of Access and know that the code will run on an earlier version. Right now, the only way I know to do this is to test the database on an earlier version and find the components which aren't available by trial-and-error.

Other object…

3 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Open XML SDK - add a support to save Word docx as PDF. 3rd party tools are costly and do not render complex docx as SaveAs2 of Word Interop.

Word Interop is a nice solution, yet very slow (comparing to OpenXml) and unreliable (we encountered that if a user clicks Ctrl+C to copy something, whilst Interop is running in a background, generating multiple documents, its content will be pasted onto one of those documents, although the user intended to paste it somewhere else) . There are 3rd party solutions to save as PDF from OpenXml, yet they do not render correctly our relatively complex invoices (header with image and table, footer with table and so on), so for now we ended up to generate them all as docx and…

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • New VBA IDE Features

'~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        VBA Native line numbering
                        '~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        Adding line numbers is something that is a pet peeve. Line numbers should be Native and error trappable by default without having to add them manually.

'~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        VBA Accessible Call Stack
                        '~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        A way to read from the call stack, function/sub names in order accessed, times accessed...etc

'~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        VBA Custom Toolbars to allow custom Macro/Function Calls
                        '~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        If I could add my ow custom functions as a toolbar button and have my toolbar exportable and importable for others to use. As opposed to a full Add-In.

'~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        VBA button and/or right click to open…

13 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          2 comments  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Improve VBA IDE: improved code coloring

I think the color coding of the Office VBA IDE could be improved to match, say, that of NoteBook++.

If you copy your VBA code into NoteBook++ (and select Language: Visual Basic) you'll see improved color coding compared to the current VBA IDE. For example:

(a)Line Numbers are red
                          (b)The colors are easier to see (more contrast) and customizable
                          (c) Characters between parentheses are red e.g. Me.lstContacts.Column(20) where the 20 is shown in red
                          (d) If you highlight text with the mouse, other occurences of the same text are highlighted on the page
                          (e) string characters between quotes are grey

17 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            5 comments  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Have a single list for going to a procedure in the VBA editor

The VBA editor with two dropdowns at the top, one for object and one for procedure, is fine, I suppose, for creating procedures (though I never use it). But it's a pain in the butt for going to an existing procedure. I never use it for that either, since it's easier to just do a Find on the procedure name you want.

I would like a SINGLE LIST of all current procedures in the module, so as to be able to easily navigate between them. The list should be in the order the procedures are in; or modifiable between that…

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • VBA IDE automatically highlights the executed source code line.

To ensure program contains as minimal bugs, every line of source code should be executed. To know that, What I have done is copy source code to any editor that can highlight or change font attributes. And after I trace the source code line by line, I switch to that editor and manually highlight it. This takes a lot of effort and cumbersome. If VBA IDE can do it automatically, Highlight executed lines until they are edited or reset by the user, It is very useful.

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Add property that automatically contains the name of the control that fires the event

Sometimes I could write a single Sub or Function, if I could only get the name of the object that fired the current event. I could of course, create my own global variable and set it inside the myObject_Click event to "myObject", but it would be nice to just have a properties (like CurrentObject and CurrentEvent that would automatically contain those values.

7 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  1 comment  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • VBA Editor Shortcut Improvements

Some requested improvements for using shortcuts in the VBA editor.

1) Have Ctrl+W close a code a module window. I use Ctrl+W to close windows. But it doesn't work in the VBA editor. So I'm continually doing Ctrl+W, remembering it doesn't work, then doing Ctrl+F4. Please enable Ctrl+W to close a window as in other WIndows apps.

2) Have Ctrl+R close the project pane as well as open it. Right now, Ctrl+R opens the project pane, but you have to manually close it. Have Ctrl+R close it if it's open.

3) Same with Ctrl+G. Have it close as well as…

2 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Button on toolbar to lock/unlock code from edits

When working in the VBA editor, I oftentimes inadvertently insert a character into my code. Perhaps I do Ctrl+S to save, but, for some reason an S gets inserted. Or Ctrl+C or Ctrl+V. Oftentimes stray characters find their way in.

I'd like a button on the toolbar to lock/unlock code from edits. Code is initially locked when editor is opened. Nothing can be changed. If I want to edit code, I just click the button on the toolbar, do my edits, and then click it again when I'm done.

If the VBA editor is closed and reopened, the code is…

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Improve VBA IDE: Find Box sizeable (Ctrl-F)

I think the Find Box (Ctrl-F) and Find/Replace Box (Ctrl-H) should be rezieable. That is, the user should be able to drag the box borders to resize it.

8 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        1 comment  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Option to stop at each event function

Often, when troubleshooting a problem, I need to see the order of event procedure calls, when there are multiple controls triggering events, and you're wanting to see if some control's event is being called before the form's such and such event. Often I go in and put breakpoints in all the events. It would be great to just set an option that has Access stop at the top of each event procedure, so it can be reviewed.

Alternatively, a log of event procedure calls that can be reviewed for troubleshooting problems would be great. And an added bonus would be…

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Have collapsible If and Select Case statements in the VBA Editor

Allow If and Select Case statements to be collapses, so that all you see are the If ... Then and End If, and Select Case, Case.. Case.. End Select. A little plus or minus next to the keyword would be great. Or just a command to collapse all functions.

The reason for this is that when you have an If statement that ends a long ways down, it's often hard to keep track of which End If belongs to which If Then, and you have to scroll and scroll and scroll and hope you indented properly. Being able to collapse…

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base