Feature Requests and Feedback

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Give the VBA IDE a major overhaul finally

It's been over 20 years since the VBA IDE was created in its present form. MS has since created a number of modern and efficient development environments. Even if the VBA environment has long been referred to as outdated: it is simply the everyday reality for the majority of professional Office developers (especially all serious Access developers). I can not imagine that it lacks capacity to MS to bring the VBA IDE into a more contemporary form.

To insist that it would not be worthwhile to invest in an improved IDE, is roughly as if an automaker refuses any further…

66 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      2 comments  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Provide an Add-in IDE inside Office applications with macro recorder

Do you want to popularize Office JS Add-in development? Why don't you do as you did with VBA? There is a macro recorder and the VBE (VBA's IDE).
      Anyone with a regular Office instalation can be a "developer" - just press Alt+F11 and start coding. This is a great incentive for begginer programmers.
      If you recluse Office JS programming to Visual Studio it'll be no use even if the framework is great, because there'll be no adoption by the community.
      You have to tease your customers' mind so he'll get addicted in macro recording and will want to learn more…

20 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Make the default value of "Require Variable Declaration" in the VB Editor to be True

Please make the default value of the "Require Variable Declaration" item in the Options of the VB Editor of Office programs equal to True rather than False as it was changed to for Office 2010. There should be very, very good reasons for not having this value set (in fact I can't think of any). It is folly to not have it set. Note that this folly was pointed out in the private beta of Office 2010, but we were told it was too late to change it back and it was not changed in Office 2013 or 2016.

13 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Expand Napa Monaco Editor to allow typescript language editing, better jsdoc tags, fix global function resolution.

Hello,
          I am working with the "Napa" Office 365 Development Tools and really want to get this to work smarter for our company. We are using this is conjuction with Visual Studio 2013 and of course we know that there are many things that VS can do to help in development. I deliberately want to have certain parts of Monaco to work better so I do not have to switch away for what I consider to be small app scenarios.

1. jsdoc support - please increase the number of tags that can be used. I can use @param and that…

10 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Please make Word Automation Services as Standalone Library

Manipulation on Microsoft Word Documents grammatically are very actual. Microsoft does not support "Word Object Model" on unattended scenarios, and Microsoft always make reference to OpenXMLSDK and Sharepoint Word Automation Services.

There is problem OpenXMLSDK is a library, Word Automation Services is not.

In many cases we developers besides manipulation of docx files, we also need convert them to other word supported format.

For that we have to install Windows 2016, Full SharePoint Server to have ability convert files. You may agree, this is too have for just for conversion tasks.

Please make Word Automation Services as Standalone Library (Even…

9 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Allow you to associate Node.js web projects with Office for Apps project

It would be great to be able to associate Node.js web projects with the Office for Apps project. Currently when you try to select it you get "Property value is not valid. File is corrupt. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8013110E)"

7 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Add vsto project from list of project references to testproject

I started to employ the MVVM pattern for Word templates and other office addins. This implies that I want to use unit tests. It would be great if VS2012 and VS2013 would show the VSTO projects in the list of projects when adding references to test projects.

7 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  1 comment  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Mailto URLs not working in Promoted Links

Until about 2 weeks ago, we were able to use Mailto: URLs in our SharePoint Online Promoted Links. Now they don't work. When in the list view, the links works fine when clicked on, when in the tile view, nothing happens when you click on the link.
                  When looking at the source code, the "click action=" is empty.
                  We have used this extensively for Contact Us pages. Is it a bug, or does SharePoint Online not longer support Mailto: from the Promoted Links Tiles view?

6 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    3 comments  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • The old VBA help system worked well. The online version bears no comment!

The idea is this: TEST MUST BE CARRIED OUT PROPERLY.

The new, online help for VBA is COMPLETELY USELESS!
                    The old, locally installed, up to Office 2010 worked properly and quickly.

The online is way much slower, but first of all NEVER GIVES ANY RELEVANT HITS!

I don't think that anyone would take any responsibility for it at MS.
                    So, I won't add any comment of almost completely negligent leadership work in software quality.

6 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Add the ability for an Office Add-in to persist diagnostic logging information

When developing an add-in for commercial use, it is vital to be able to diagnose issues that end-users encounter when using the add-in. Furthermore, it is important to be able to obtain diagnostic information about the behavior and health of the add-in easily. In a .NET/VSTO add-in, we can use the .NET TraceSource APIs to write logs and easily obtain the logs from our end-users should issues arise. In a javascript-based Office Add-in, we need a comparable capability. In the forum post here: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7e5f4a0e-c04b-4881-ab22-036ab0003bff/how-to-debug-obtain-diagnostic-logs-from-an-excel-desktop-task-pane-app-without-visual-studio?forum=appsforoffice, it was suggested to use the Settings object to store diagnostic information. The issues with…

5 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Office Fabric JS is lacking compared to Office Fabric React

ms-Button--command is not available in JS (although it was in previous versions)

4 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • 3 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • VBE Editor: Clear Immediate Pane from VBA

When developing with VBA I find myself often using
                            Debug.Print
                            However the immediate pane can get quite cluttered from time to time. It would be an excellent addition if I could use e.g.
                            Debug.ClearImmediatePane
                            from VBA to remove all info from the immediate pane.

3 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Office developer tools offline installer

I have a virtual DEV environment without internet access and physical non DEV machine without Admin rights or CD/USB access.

This means I can't install web platform installer and download offline version using this tool or install the office developer tools from the internet on my DEV machine.

Could you please always add links for offline installers to the download center?

Thanks

3 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Photo Editing

Microsoft is no doubt a powerhouse in many different areas surrounding our businesses and personal lives. Keeping us organized and streamlining our daily tasks. How about Photo Editing. How many of us have photo editing apps on our tablets and phones?!

I think Microsoft should concentrate on giving Photoshop, Elements and Lightroom some serious competition. Elements is to complicated without some kind of class to help you along the way. So, Microsoft give us an easy to use powerhouse photo editing product!! :)

3 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • 3 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Extend Word JavaScript API to add the ability to modify style definitions, list templates, and document variables

There should be a way for an Office web add-In to modify existing styles, list templates, and document variables without closing and reopening the document. The JavaScript InsertOoxml method allows you to introduce new styles, list templates, and document variables to the active document but not to modify existing ones. The same was true of the VBA InsertXML method. However, VBA provided easy, direct access to these objects via Document.Styles, Document.ListTemplates, and Document.Variables collections. For example, in VBA, modifying a style was as simple as ActiveDocument.Styles(“NameOfStyle”).Font.Size = #. In contrast, it appears that the only existing objects outside of a…

3 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Hi

Hello Dears
                                      I am an Iranian and one of the millions of Microsoft Office users
                                      One of the problems with Office is that Excel does not have Persian history and I mean Hijri Shamsi (Jalali calendar)
                                      Several other countries also use this calendar
                                      So please add this calendar to Excel
                                      Thank

3 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Excalc

there are 2 calculators in a windows pc
                                        1.calc.exe
                                        2.excel.exe

officially i use, excel for calculations more than i use calc

if there would be a utility excalc.exe which can launch a very simple 100column x 100row excel grid calculator for a quick calculation it would be a great addition

provided it should have a preloaded formula to perform any basic calculations

3 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Absolutely needed - the new update of Office 2016 Help Files: Office Fluent User Interface Control Identifiers

The Office 365 desktop application's UI has been redesigned last year - e.g. folder browse capability in File > Save As (full folder navigation in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint for OneDrive folders, OneDrive for Business folders, and This PC).

So the new update of Office 2016 Help Files: Office Fluent User Interface Control Identifiers is absolutely needed now! The last version was released one year ago and even quite incomplete! (see https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=50745)

3 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base