Feedback by UserVoice

Feature Requests and Feedback

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Open XML SDK - add a support to save Word docx as PDF. 3rd party tools are costly and do not render complex docx as SaveAs2 of Word Interop.

Word Interop is a nice solution, yet very slow (comparing to OpenXml) and unreliable (we encountered that if a user clicks Ctrl+C to copy something, whilst Interop is running in a background, generating multiple documents, its content will be pasted onto one of those documents, although the user intended to paste it somewhere else) . There are 3rd party solutions to save as PDF from OpenXml, yet they do not render correctly our relatively complex invoices (header with image and table, footer with table and so on), so for now we ended up to generate them all as docx and…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. New VBA IDE Features

'~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    VBA Native line numbering
    '~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Adding line numbers is something that is a pet peeve. Line numbers should be Native and error trappable by default without having to add them manually.

'~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    VBA Accessible Call Stack
    '~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A way to read from the call stack, function/sub names in order accessed, times accessed...etc

'~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    VBA Custom Toolbars to allow custom Macro/Function Calls
    '~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If I could add my ow custom functions as a toolbar button and have my toolbar exportable and importable for others to use. As opposed to a full Add-In.

'~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    VBA button and/or right click to open…

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Improve VBA IDE: improved code coloring

I think the color coding of the Office VBA IDE could be improved to match, say, that of NoteBook++.

If you copy your VBA code into NoteBook++ (and select Language: Visual Basic) you'll see improved color coding compared to the current VBA IDE. For example:

(a)Line Numbers are red
    (b)The colors are easier to see (more contrast) and customizable
    (c) Characters between parentheses are red e.g. Me.lstContacts.Column(20) where the 20 is shown in red
    (d) If you highlight text with the mouse, other occurences of the same text are highlighted on the page
    (e) string characters between quotes are grey

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. UTF-8 or UTF-16 in VBA IDE and Messagebox

Please find a way to enter and display UTF-8 or UTF-16 strings (or at least UCS-2 (aka "Basic Multilingual Plane"))(Codepage 65001 or 1200) in the VBA Editor and in VBA-Functions like MsgBox().

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. add to macro recorder ----

ability to create a range for printing (like in excel 2011)
    ie: cells to be printed by the macro.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. VBA Editor Shortcut Improvements

Some requested improvements for using shortcuts in the VBA editor.

1) Have Ctrl+W close a code a module window. I use Ctrl+W to close windows. But it doesn't work in the VBA editor. So I'm continually doing Ctrl+W, remembering it doesn't work, then doing Ctrl+F4. Please enable Ctrl+W to close a window as in other WIndows apps.

2) Have Ctrl+R close the project pane as well as open it. Right now, Ctrl+R opens the project pane, but you have to manually close it. Have Ctrl+R close it if it's open.

3) Same with Ctrl+G. Have it close as well as…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Support 1password's One-time password feature w/ Office 365 MFA authentication

Would love to see support for 1Password's One-time password feature for MFA authentication. It seems it can already read the URL but doesn't authenticate with O365 MFA service correctly.

Refer to feature here:
    https://support.1password.com/one-time-passwords/

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Radio Buttons not working in Modern SharePoint Lists - Office 365

Radio Buttons not working in Modern SharePoint Lists - Office 365

In the modern experience view, the multiple choice option does not display as radio buttons even though the field is setup for radio buttons. It looks more like a drop down if anything. Is this a known issue or is this by design?

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Extend Word JavaScript API to add the ability to modify style definitions, list templates, and document variables

There should be a way for an Office web add-In to modify existing styles, list templates, and document variables without closing and reopening the document. The JavaScript InsertOoxml method allows you to introduce new styles, list templates, and document variables to the active document but not to modify existing ones. The same was true of the VBA InsertXML method. However, VBA provided easy, direct access to these objects via Document.Styles, Document.ListTemplates, and Document.Variables collections. For example, in VBA, modifying a style was as simple as ActiveDocument.Styles(“NameOfStyle”).Font.Size = #. In contrast, it appears that the only existing objects outside of a…

66 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Hi

Hello Dears
    I am an Iranian and one of the millions of Microsoft Office users
    One of the problems with Office is that Excel does not have Persian history and I mean Hijri Shamsi (Jalali calendar)
    Several other countries also use this calendar
    So please add this calendar to Excel
    Thank

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Replace VBA with Javascript

It would be a very easy if the Javascript integration with Office apps work the same way VBA works like defining custom functions, userforms and form controls.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Add new msbuild/.csproj support to Office Developer Tools for VS 2017

Update the templates for VSTO Addins in the Office Developer Tools for VS in order to support the new msbuild engine introduced along with .net core and VS 2017.
    For example, we need the new .csproj format to move from packages.json to csproj to use nuget packages the easy way.
    Using a .net standard library at the moment is no fun.

I tried to port my existing vsto project, but failed after hours of investigation: The VSTO .targets files seem to be incompatible with the new msbuild engine.

Thank you!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Make the default value of "Require Variable Declaration" in the VB Editor to be True

Please make the default value of the "Require Variable Declaration" item in the Options of the VB Editor of Office programs equal to True rather than False as it was changed to for Office 2010. There should be very, very good reasons for not having this value set (in fact I can't think of any). It is folly to not have it set. Note that this folly was pointed out in the private beta of Office 2010, but we were told it was too late to change it back and it was not changed in Office 2013 or 2016.

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. VBE Editor: Clear Immediate Pane from VBA

When developing with VBA I find myself often using
    Debug.Print
    However the immediate pane can get quite cluttered from time to time. It would be an excellent addition if I could use e.g.
    Debug.ClearImmediatePane
    from VBA to remove all info from the immediate pane.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Absolutely needed - the new update of Office 2016 Help Files: Office Fluent User Interface Control Identifiers

The Office 365 desktop application's UI has been redesigned last year - e.g. folder browse capability in File > Save As (full folder navigation in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint for OneDrive folders, OneDrive for Business folders, and This PC).

So the new update of Office 2016 Help Files: Office Fluent User Interface Control Identifiers is absolutely needed now! The last version was released one year ago and even quite incomplete! (see https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=50745)

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. The old VBA help system worked well. The online version bears no comment!

The idea is this: TEST MUST BE CARRIED OUT PROPERLY.

The new, online help for VBA is COMPLETELY USELESS!
    The old, locally installed, up to Office 2010 worked properly and quickly.

The online is way much slower, but first of all NEVER GIVES ANY RELEVANT HITS!

I don't think that anyone would take any responsibility for it at MS.
    So, I won't add any comment of almost completely negligent leadership work in software quality.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Provide an Add-in IDE inside Office applications with macro recorder

Do you want to popularize Office JS Add-in development? Why don't you do as you did with VBA? There is a macro recorder and the VBE (VBA's IDE).
    Anyone with a regular Office instalation can be a "developer" - just press Alt+F11 and start coding. This is a great incentive for begginer programmers.
    If you recluse Office JS programming to Visual Studio it'll be no use even if the framework is great, because there'll be no adoption by the community.
    You have to tease your customers' mind so he'll get addicted in macro recording and will want to learn more…

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base