Feedback by UserVoice

Feature Requests and Feedback

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add the ability for an Office Add-in to persist diagnostic logging information

When developing an add-in for commercial use, it is vital to be able to diagnose issues that end-users encounter when using the add-in. Furthermore, it is important to be able to obtain diagnostic information about the behavior and health of the add-in easily. In a .NET/VSTO add-in, we can use the .NET TraceSource APIs to write logs and easily obtain the logs from our end-users should issues arise. In a javascript-based Office Add-in, we need a comparable capability. In the forum post here: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7e5f4a0e-c04b-4881-ab22-036ab0003bff/how-to-debug-obtain-diagnostic-logs-from-an-excel-desktop-task-pane-app-without-visual-studio?forum=appsforoffice, it was suggested to use the Settings object to store diagnostic information. The issues with…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Over a certain threshold return a URL to download the Attachment contents

Instead of returning an enormous base64 string in JSON that has to be streamed by some event-based json parser, make things easy.

For under 32K inline it
    For over 32k provide an endpoint

response could be (inline)

{

inline: true

content: (base64)

}

or not inline

{

inline: false

content: 'http:xxxx/streamingservice.com/attachments/3293929349d"

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Exchange Online Protection - Powershell cmdlets to obtain status, to view message(headers), to release messages

As as administrator PowerShell is a powerful Tool to survey and handle various situations.

I'd really love the ability to get the status of our EOP quarantine - also to be able to release quarantine mail using PowerShell cmdlets.

It seems an omission this is not possible today.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Fix the position of the Find dialog in VBA editor for dual monitors

When using dual monitors, if you have the "Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications" window maximised on the left monitor, pressing Ctrl+F brings up the Find dialog in the centre of the window, as you'd expect.
    However, if you have the VBA window on the right monitor, the Find dialog appears between the two displays, which isn't a great place for it.

When the window is maximised, the Find dialog shouldn't try to appear off to one side of the VBA window, but instead just centre itself on the VBA window.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. In the Access VBA reference, include the Access version(s) in which the feature is available

In the Access VBA reference (the Access Object Model documentation), please include the version in which each feature was introduced. That is, on each page describing a particular Object, Event, Method or Property, it would be useful to know in which version of Access it was introduced. That will make it possible to design in one version of Access and know that the code will run on an earlier version. Right now, the only way I know to do this is to test the database on an earlier version and find the components which aren't available by trial-and-error.

Other object…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. VBA IDE automatically highlights the executed source code line.

To ensure program contains as minimal bugs, every line of source code should be executed. To know that, What I have done is copy source code to any editor that can highlight or change font attributes. And after I trace the source code line by line, I switch to that editor and manually highlight it. This takes a lot of effort and cumbersome. If VBA IDE can do it automatically, Highlight executed lines until they are edited or reset by the user, It is very useful.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Have a single list for going to a procedure in the VBA editor

The VBA editor with two dropdowns at the top, one for object and one for procedure, is fine, I suppose, for creating procedures (though I never use it). But it's a pain in the butt for going to an existing procedure. I never use it for that either, since it's easier to just do a Find on the procedure name you want.

I would like a SINGLE LIST of all current procedures in the module, so as to be able to easily navigate between them. The list should be in the order the procedures are in; or modifiable between that…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Button on toolbar to lock/unlock code from edits

When working in the VBA editor, I oftentimes inadvertently insert a character into my code. Perhaps I do Ctrl+S to save, but, for some reason an S gets inserted. Or Ctrl+C or Ctrl+V. Oftentimes stray characters find their way in.

I'd like a button on the toolbar to lock/unlock code from edits. Code is initially locked when editor is opened. Nothing can be changed. If I want to edit code, I just click the button on the toolbar, do my edits, and then click it again when I'm done.

If the VBA editor is closed and reopened, the code is…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Have collapsible If and Select Case statements in the VBA Editor

Allow If and Select Case statements to be collapses, so that all you see are the If ... Then and End If, and Select Case, Case.. Case.. End Select. A little plus or minus next to the keyword would be great. Or just a command to collapse all functions.

The reason for this is that when you have an If statement that ends a long ways down, it's often hard to keep track of which End If belongs to which If Then, and you have to scroll and scroll and scroll and hope you indented properly. Being able to collapse…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add property that automatically contains the name of the control that fires the event

Sometimes I could write a single Sub or Function, if I could only get the name of the object that fired the current event. I could of course, create my own global variable and set it inside the myObject_Click event to "myObject", but it would be nice to just have a properties (like CurrentObject and CurrentEvent that would automatically contain those values.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Improve VBA IDE: Find Box sizeable (Ctrl-F)

I think the Find Box (Ctrl-F) and Find/Replace Box (Ctrl-H) should be rezieable. That is, the user should be able to drag the box borders to resize it.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Option to stop at each event function

Often, when troubleshooting a problem, I need to see the order of event procedure calls, when there are multiple controls triggering events, and you're wanting to see if some control's event is being called before the form's such and such event. Often I go in and put breakpoints in all the events. It would be great to just set an option that has Access stop at the top of each event procedure, so it can be reviewed.

Alternatively, a log of event procedure calls that can be reviewed for troubleshooting problems would be great. And an added bonus would be…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Please Open API for Microsoft Conversion Library RTF2Foreign

Please open the API for Conversion Library
    RTF2Foreign & Foreign2RTF

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. make attachments button/link available inside actionable messages cards

With actionable message cards in Outlook, we are able to make it easy for users to act on events in external systems without leaving their outlooks with Approve/Reject buttons. There are scenarios when a simple text accompanying the card is not enough to make a user decision, but providing a user with a report as an attachment to email would make the data sufficient, and a user would still be able to remain working in Outlook. It would be very handy if this attachment could be displayed on the card as a clickable icon/text/object making the whole UX plain clear…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Augment VBA with an Option Breakable Loop which inserts a 'DoEvents' call before each Wend, Loop or Next

VBA Loops can be a little hard to break if you haven't remembered to insert DoEvents. I suggest adding an option to VBA which yields control at the iteration of every loop.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. In the Project Explorer of the VBA editor clearly highlight the current edited module name

After selecting a module in Project Explorer when the user clicks in the VBA editing window, the highlighting of the current module name in Project Explorer almost disappears. It is only very faintly highlighted. It needs to be clearly highlighted so the Developer can easily see where they are in the project. I have a copy of xl2007 and the name remains lightly highlighted but in xl2016 it is so light that often I cannot detect which one is selected.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Mailto URLs not working in Promoted Links

Until about 2 weeks ago, we were able to use Mailto: URLs in our SharePoint Online Promoted Links. Now they don't work. When in the list view, the links works fine when clicked on, when in the tile view, nothing happens when you click on the link.
    When looking at the source code, the "click action=" is empty.
    We have used this extensively for Contact Us pages. Is it a bug, or does SharePoint Online not longer support Mailto: from the Promoted Links Tiles view?

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Disclose a public OfficeJs bug tracker

Right now add in developers have no clue what bugs exist, what the status of bugs is because there is no such thing as an OfficeJs bug tracker. Why isn't there? it seems super obvious to have?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base