Feature Requests and Feedback

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. VBE Editor: Clear Immediate Pane from VBA

When developing with VBA I find myself often using
    Debug.Print
    However the immediate pane can get quite cluttered from time to time. It would be an excellent addition if I could use e.g.
    Debug.ClearImmediatePane
    from VBA to remove all info from the immediate pane.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    3 comments  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Provide an SDK for UCWA

Unified Communications Web APIs are available since more than two years now, and earlier this year they've been (finally) enabled on O365 as well.

Still, as of today, there's no official SDK provided from MS to interact with UCWA.
    There are concepts in UCWA that are quite unique or not obvious at all: such as working with the Event Channel; for which there are no good working examples, or sufficient documentation.

More often we hear during presentations speakers saying: "... but because we're not animal, there's a package/library for that!"

I still consider myself an animal, but I would like…

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. The old VBA help system worked well. The online version bears no comment!

The idea is this: TEST MUST BE CARRIED OUT PROPERLY.

The new, online help for VBA is COMPLETELY USELESS!
    The old, locally installed, up to Office 2010 worked properly and quickly.

The online is way much slower, but first of all NEVER GIVES ANY RELEVANT HITS!

I don't think that anyone would take any responsibility for it at MS.
    So, I won't add any comment of almost completely negligent leadership work in software quality.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add the ability for an Office Add-in to persist diagnostic logging information

When developing an add-in for commercial use, it is vital to be able to diagnose issues that end-users encounter when using the add-in. Furthermore, it is important to be able to obtain diagnostic information about the behavior and health of the add-in easily. In a .NET/VSTO add-in, we can use the .NET TraceSource APIs to write logs and easily obtain the logs from our end-users should issues arise. In a javascript-based Office Add-in, we need a comparable capability. In the forum post here: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7e5f4a0e-c04b-4881-ab22-036ab0003bff/how-to-debug-obtain-diagnostic-logs-from-an-excel-desktop-task-pane-app-without-visual-studio?forum=appsforoffice, it was suggested to use the Settings object to store diagnostic information. The issues with…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Add support for web office add-ins development on Linux

Hi,

As the title says, I can't develop add-ins for web office on Linux.
    I followed the documentation on creating OneNote add-in, but when I run npm run start:web, I get this:

Debugging is being started...
    App type: web
    Unable to start the dev server. Error: Platform not supported: linux
    Debugging started.

Thanks in advance

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Open XML SDK - add a support to save Word docx as PDF. 3rd party tools are costly and do not render complex docx as SaveAs2 of Word Interop.

Word Interop is a nice solution, yet very slow (comparing to OpenXml) and unreliable (we encountered that if a user clicks Ctrl+C to copy something, whilst Interop is running in a background, generating multiple documents, its content will be pasted onto one of those documents, although the user intended to paste it somewhere else) . There are 3rd party solutions to save as PDF from OpenXml, yet they do not render correctly our relatively complex invoices (header with image and table, footer with table and so on), so for now we ended up to generate them all as docx and…

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Over a certain threshold return a URL to download the Attachment contents

Instead of returning an enormous base64 string in JSON that has to be streamed by some event-based json parser, make things easy.

For under 32K inline it
    For over 32k provide an endpoint

response could be (inline)

{

inline: true

content: (base64)

}

or not inline

{

inline: false

content: 'http:xxxx/streamingservice.com/attachments/3293929349d"

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Provide a way to get the Office 365 Version on the client side

Office 365 has monthly versions (such as 1803, 1810, etc.). This version is displayed in the Office client application's Account tab.

I couldn't find a way to programmatically get this Version number on the client side. There is only the usual full build number.

Is there a way or can a way be provided, please?

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. VBA IDE Github integration for working on code

I work in VBA alot at work and would be great to create repositories of VBA Code for editing from multiple machines and environments and tracking changes to Modules and classes. I don't get to use more advanced IDE's because of licensing issues and IA Security.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Improve VBA IDE: Find Box sizeable (Ctrl-F)

I think the Find Box (Ctrl-F) and Find/Replace Box (Ctrl-H) should be rezieable. That is, the user should be able to drag the box borders to resize it.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Fix the position of the Find dialog in VBA editor for dual monitors

When using dual monitors, if you have the "Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications" window maximised on the left monitor, pressing Ctrl+F brings up the Find dialog in the centre of the window, as you'd expect.
    However, if you have the VBA window on the right monitor, the Find dialog appears between the two displays, which isn't a great place for it.

When the window is maximised, the Find dialog shouldn't try to appear off to one side of the VBA window, but instead just centre itself on the VBA window.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Add property that automatically contains the name of the control that fires the event

Sometimes I could write a single Sub or Function, if I could only get the name of the object that fired the current event. I could of course, create my own global variable and set it inside the myObject_Click event to "myObject", but it would be nice to just have a properties (like CurrentObject and CurrentEvent that would automatically contain those values.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Allow you to associate Node.js web projects with Office for Apps project

It would be great to be able to associate Node.js web projects with the Office for Apps project. Currently when you try to select it you get "Property value is not valid. File is corrupt. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8013110E)"

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Add vsto project from list of project references to testproject

I started to employ the MVVM pattern for Word templates and other office addins. This implies that I want to use unit tests. It would be great if VS2012 and VS2013 would show the VSTO projects in the list of projects when adding references to test projects.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Office.js API for MS Access

Hello, i would like to ask is there any plan for extend MS Access to have Office.js APIs. Seems to be logical step as Office.js APIs are forming to role of a successor of VBA in longterm horizont.
    Thank you for clarification

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. debugger for the outlook add-in development for outlook desktop application

There is no debugger for the outlook add-in development for outlook desktop application like we have in word/powerpoint. Somethings which works in the browser will not work in outlook desktop client. it would be really great if you could add this in your next release.

Related github link: https://github.com/OfficeDev/office-js-docs-pr/issues/1384

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Absolutely needed - the new update of Office 2016 Help Files: Office Fluent User Interface Control Identifiers

The Office 365 desktop application's UI has been redesigned last year - e.g. folder browse capability in File > Save As (full folder navigation in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint for OneDrive folders, OneDrive for Business folders, and This PC).

So the new update of Office 2016 Help Files: Office Fluent User Interface Control Identifiers is absolutely needed now! The last version was released one year ago and even quite incomplete! (see https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=50745)

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. please add some simple examples of using an odbc data source.

please add some simple examples of using an odbc data source.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Have collapsible If and Select Case statements in the VBA Editor

Allow If and Select Case statements to be collapses, so that all you see are the If ... Then and End If, and Select Case, Case.. Case.. End Select. A little plus or minus next to the keyword would be great. Or just a command to collapse all functions.

The reason for this is that when you have an If statement that ends a long ways down, it's often hard to keep track of which End If belongs to which If Then, and you have to scroll and scroll and scroll and hope you indented properly. Being able to collapse…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. VBA Editor Shortcut Improvements

Some requested improvements for using shortcuts in the VBA editor.

1) Have Ctrl+W close a code a module window. I use Ctrl+W to close windows. But it doesn't work in the VBA editor. So I'm continually doing Ctrl+W, remembering it doesn't work, then doing Ctrl+F4. Please enable Ctrl+W to close a window as in other WIndows apps.

2) Have Ctrl+R close the project pane as well as open it. Right now, Ctrl+R opens the project pane, but you have to manually close it. Have Ctrl+R close it if it's open.

3) Same with Ctrl+G. Have it close as well as…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base