Feedback by UserVoice

Feature Requests and Feedback

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow access to page margins

Currently there is no direct way to access page margins in the Word JS API. If I want to insert a new document into the file, it maintains the page margins of the current document.

42 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Add-in: Word  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow PowerPoint Add-In to create new Slide

Add support for the Add-In to create a new slide in the presentation. A possible use case would be to support the ability for an add-in to insert template marketing slides. A sales person needs to create a new presentation. The add-in pulls the latest marketing slide from a repository and adds them to the presentation ensuring that the sales person is always using the latest slides

107 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Add-in: PowerPoint  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Create Word Comments via Office API

Hi,

Could you add functionality to create Word comments via the Office API?

I know have a proof of concept, named Feedback+, in the store where we create comments into a word document. But this has a bug. It creates a paragraph everytime someone creates a comment in the document.

Thanks,

JW

80 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Add-in: Word  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Support custom colors for highlightColor in Word

It seems that setting `font.highlightColor` only supports couple of basic colors even though the docs don't explicitly mention any limitations. Any other color used seems to be converted to closest basic color.
    This is quite limiting especially that the basic Word highlight colors are mostly dark and very unsuitable for highlighting black on white text.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Add-in: Word  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Support the Importing of slides in PowerPoint

I would like to be able to provide an add-in that could insert slides into a presentation. This is a similar concept to the Word Clause library. To provide maximum flexibility to the dev I would suggest using the Ooxml coercionType. Both Get and Set would be ideal

70 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Add-in: PowerPoint  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Make Outlook/Mail Universal App supporting Office add-ins

The Universal App Mail (Outlook mobile) is definitely used a lot and is a solid candidate for being the mobile friendly Outlook client people were looking for.
    Unfortunately, the version 17.6525.42271.0 does not support office add-ins. I did not see a roadmap indicating it will be, but that would be a huge plus. Now the only mobile approach to consume add-ins is with a fallback with Outlook Web Access.

88 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Add-in: Outlook  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Protect against copy to clipboard

In order for protected content to be displayable in Word as part of a larger (unprotected) document, Copy of some document regions must be prevented. This is possible today with VSTO Add-Ins, by reacting to selection changes and clearing the selection when necessary, impossible with the current Javascript API.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Add-in: Word  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. getSelectedDataAsync for Powerpoint shapes

getSelectedDataAsync only return text string (if there is text in selected shape). Would be great to return more info of selected shape, perhaps in OOXML/HTML form, or at least a shape ID.

50 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Add-in: PowerPoint  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. please provide option to navigate bookmarks in the word document

please provide option to navigate bookmarks in the word document (office app javascript API)

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Need events for Office Web versions of Word and Excel

The following list of events found on the client version of Word and Excel would aid in development of apps that work the same as current client addin apps work.

Excel Open Event
    Excel Close Event
    Excel BeforeClose Event
    Workbook activate event

Word Open Event
    Word Close Event
    Word beforeClose event
    Document activate event

296 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    20 comments  ·  Add-in: General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. provide a way to access a calendar from the browser

1) For the calendars, I would need a property similar to Event.WebLink in order to be able to access the calendar from the browser

2) If possible, when opening the calendar in the browser, I would need to provide the calendar view (day/week/month) and the date.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Add-in: General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. navigate to a bookmark would be very useful

Using office app javascript API, It would be very useful if you add an option to navigate using the bookmark name

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Add-in: Word  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. setSelectedDataAsync with data type “HTML” and “Office Open XML” in PowerPoint

Make it possible to use setSelectedDataAsync with data type “HTML” and “Office Open XML” in PowerPoint. Currently it is only Word that can use data type “HTML” and “Office Open XML”.

179 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under review  ·  10 comments  ·  Add-in: PowerPoint  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. client-side ribbon manipulation

I'd like to see the ability to register ribbon items (tabs and their children) dynamically on the client-side via my app or some tenant scoped javascript that I can register (needs to work with SharePoint Online and should not block submittal to the store). Right now the only way to register a ribbon item of any sort is to do so during the app installation which doesn’t allow us to extend the ribbon over time (either with our own service adding items or by allowing the user to add their own items via an app or whatever).

99 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under review  ·  7 comments  ·  Add-in: General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Provide a feature which gives a list of all styles in Word in Office JS

Can you please provide a feature which gives a list of all styles in word in Office JS ? This will definitely fill up the gap between Office JS and VSTO

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Santosh, thank you for your suggestions. We really appreciate it.

Listing all styles in the document is a gap in the Word API and we’re reviewing this suggestion right now. We’ll keep you posted.

Regarding the Excel suggestion, we request you open another request under Excel Addins to track this item. This would enable voting for this item individually as well.

Hope this helps!
    Office Extensibility Team

16. Add keyboard shortcut

In all previous versions of MS Word I used ability to assign keyboard shortcut to a macro. However JavaScript API for Office seems to not support this. It is so strange and unexpected.
    Unfortunately absence of this feature is a blocker for me to develop custom plugins for Word 2013 online. Could be great to have it back!

49 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Add-in: Word  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow edits made by Office.js API functions (setDataAsync et. al.) to be 'undone' with Ctrl-z

Right now, an app makes changes to the sheet, there's no way for the user to undo those changes (or their previous changes).

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Add-in: General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Bindings for Powerpoint

Extend Javascript API for Powerpoint to add and edit bindings as in Word and Excel.

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Add-in: PowerPoint  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Deprecate localisation of Excel function names

Many ages ago someone in the USA got the *GREAT* idea to localize the names of Excel functions. She probably wanted to please international users from all over the world: why a user from Czechoslovakia should learn a new term "SUM"when he knows "SUMA" from school... And why the foreigner should learn "VALUE" when he knows "HODNOTA" in his language. Well so far so good. But the Czech guy says and writes word "text" exactly the same as his English colleague. God knows why she (the MS person in America) suddenly translated the function "TEXT" as "HODNOTA.NA.TEXT" in the Czech…

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Allow Office.js api to save documents as read only

I posted this question @ http://stackoverflow.com/questions/39919312/office-js-saving-word-document-as-read-only

And got the answer that it's not currently possible.

Basically my problem is that I would like the word document to match what the pdf is like in our service. It could get confusing for the user if he thinks he can add text to the word document since it will NOT get updated at our end.

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Add-in: Word  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base