Feedback by UserVoice

Feature Requests and Feedback

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add Windows to "Microsoft 365 E5 Developer"

Need to test and work with Microsoft Virtual Desktop and use autopilot scenarios for Enterprise testing. The Pro to Enterprise step up integrated into Azure AD is needed

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Developer portals & programs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Feedback: EnhancedLocations preview API

I'd like to provide some feedback about Office.EnhancedLocation and Office.LocationIdentifier when developing an Outlook add-in.
    First, very happy to see improvements with this!

In my use case, I have an Office Add-in that show me all available meeting rooms (from a different Office 365 tenant). Users can add one or more of those meeting rooms as a location to the invite, through the add-on. Sending the invite, also books the room (and because of an Organization Relationship we can even use the schedule builder to view Free/Busy).
    My code would use the EnhancedLocation.addAsync with body:

var locations = [
    { …

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Add-in: Outlook  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Ability to resize Task Pane in Online Clients

Online Add in features need to be enhanced to have ability to resize Task Pane in Word online, Mac and IPad.

iPad also has limited resize ability and hence taskpane resize is needed

355 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under review  ·  25 comments  ·  Add-in: UX  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Open XML SDK - add a support to save Word docx as PDF. 3rd party tools are costly and do not render complex docx as SaveAs2 of Word Interop.

Word Interop is a nice solution, yet very slow (comparing to OpenXml) and unreliable (we encountered that if a user clicks Ctrl+C to copy something, whilst Interop is running in a background, generating multiple documents, its content will be pasted onto one of those documents, although the user intended to paste it somewhere else) . There are 3rd party solutions to save as PDF from OpenXml, yet they do not render correctly our relatively complex invoices (header with image and table, footer with table and so on), so for now we ended up to generate them all as docx and…

63 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Collapsible vba procedures

By default each procedure should only have the first procedure line (header) visible with an expand button to show all lines within the procedure. Currently a lot of time is spend scrolling through code.

I would also like to see the two drop downs for general and declarations changed to a tree view on the left so that I can more easily navigate procedures and methods.

220 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under review  ·  10 comments  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Office UI Fabric Angular Components for Angular 2+

Create a angular component library for the office UI fabric. There is currently a library for Angular JS and React, but not for modern versions of Angular.

198 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Improve VBA IDE: Highlight start and end of Blocks e.g. If/End If, With/End With, Do/Loop etc

It would be great if the VBA IDE would highlight...

(a) The start and of Blocks such as If/End If. So if you highlighted the "If" the matching "End If" would also be highlighted. This would be great for both coding but also auditing inherited code.

(b) Highlight incomplete Blocks: so if you start "If" it's red until such time the closing "End If" is added

135 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under review  ·  7 comments  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Improve VBA IDE (MS Access): better integration with SQL Server for query development in Access Front End

Access can link to SQL Server tables but it would great if it had the same intellisense that SQL Server has for writing SQL Statements directly into the VBA IDE. So if you referred to a linked (or local) table in your VBA code then typed the period, intellisense would show the available fields.

117 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under review  ·  6 comments  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Improve VBA IDE: Line numbering by default

Line numbering is essential for efficient error trapping. It would be great if the VBA had line numbering by default. To be effective, it should...

(a) automatically renumber when code is edited
    (b) be able to be toggled between show/hide

85 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under review  ·  12 comments  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add-in Developers - Automated Testing Platform

It is very difficult to test add-ins against multiple versions of Office and on different platforms.

For example, I ran into an issue where I had the latest macOS but a user had an older version. It was very difficult to debug and test code against that older version.

Therefore, it would be nice to have something like https://www.browserstack.com/ or Sauce Labs that was available to Add-in Developers so that we could run some automated testing in CI to make sure our changes will work on multiple platforms and environments. Maybe even at a minimum a set of VM's like…

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Developer portals & programs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Improve VBA IDE: improved code coloring

I think the color coding of the Office VBA IDE could be improved to match, say, that of NoteBook++.

If you copy your VBA code into NoteBook++ (and select Language: Visual Basic) you'll see improved color coding compared to the current VBA IDE. For example:

(a)Line Numbers are red
    (b)The colors are easier to see (more contrast) and customizable
    (c) Characters between parentheses are red e.g. Me.lstContacts.Column(20) where the 20 is shown in red
    (d) If you highlight text with the mouse, other occurences of the same text are highlighted on the page
    (e) string characters between quotes are grey

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Please provide the ability to move O365 tenant Data Region move in the Office Developer Program

Currently when we sign up for the Office Developer Program and create and O365 Subscription, the tenant is set to North America. This causes the inability to test add-in and functionality in the data center local to developer's location. Can you please provide the ability for O365 data region to be able to move? This solves latency and data sovereignty issues.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Developer portals & programs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Extend Word JavaScript API to add the ability to modify style definitions, list templates, and document variables

There should be a way for an Office web add-In to modify existing styles, list templates, and document variables without closing and reopening the document. The JavaScript InsertOoxml method allows you to introduce new styles, list templates, and document variables to the active document but not to modify existing ones. The same was true of the VBA InsertXML method. However, VBA provided easy, direct access to these objects via Document.Styles, Document.ListTemplates, and Document.Variables collections. For example, in VBA, modifying a style was as simple as ActiveDocument.Styles(“NameOfStyle”).Font.Size = #. In contrast, it appears that the only existing objects outside of a…

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Give the VBA IDE a major overhaul finally

It's been over 20 years since the VBA IDE was created in its present form. MS has since created a number of modern and efficient development environments. Even if the VBA environment has long been referred to as outdated: it is simply the everyday reality for the majority of professional Office developers (especially all serious Access developers). I can not imagine that it lacks capacity to MS to bring the VBA IDE into a more contemporary form.

To insist that it would not be worthwhile to invest in an improved IDE, is roughly as if an automaker refuses any further…

457 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under review  ·  28 comments  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Adding Field Codes for Word Using Word Javascript API

I want to add field codes using word JavaScript API. I checked the API documentation but I found nothing regarding this. It would be great, if there a possible way to do this through the API.

112 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Add-in: Word  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Provide VSTO's DocumentBeforeSave event

This is necessary to implement app-dependent document content protection

57 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Add-in: Word  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Support wildcards for AppDomains in Office add-in manifests to support sub domains

Support wildcards for AppDomains in Office add-in manifests to support sub domains for example <AppDomain>https://*.acme.com</AppDomain>

204 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Add-in: General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Wrapping OOXML APIs Needed - insertComment, insertBookmark, insertOoxmlFragment

The API makes it very very difficult to wrap content in the underlying OOXML with additional OOXML.

SUGGESTION: It would be great if there were a range.insertComment, range.insertBookmark that worked exactly like range.insertContentControl does! Or please give us a method to get the current OOXML fragment represented by a range. I'm trying to insert bookmarks and I've seen others trying to insert comments, around the selected text. The getOoxml() methods are great if you're writing copy/paste functionality, but that doesn't help you if you're trying to manipulate/wrap the fragment.

91 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Add-in: Word  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Get all Styles in Office 365 Word Document

With office 365 word add-in development it is not possible to get all existing styles in a word document using word JavaScript API with as strongly type object of the API. The only way is using ooxml document. But the problem is this ooxml file size depend on the size of the word document. For an example, for 4-5 simple word paragraphs, ooxml size is nearly 13-15 pages. So it is very difficult to process styles in a large document using this ooxml. In VB and VBA, we can get all used styles through the API. So could you please…

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Support Regex (regular expressions) via Search javascript API

context.document.body.search and range.search do not accept regular expressions (regex) as search patterns. The current wildcard language that is supported is far less capable. We have documents with lots of patterns that we look for via regular expressions and currently that is not possible with the javascript API. Please consider adding support for that.

55 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base