Feedback by UserVoice

Feature Requests and Feedback

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support Regex (regular expressions) via Search javascript API

context.document.body.search and range.search do not accept regular expressions (regex) as search patterns. The current wildcard language that is supported is far less capable. We have documents with lots of patterns that we look for via regular expressions and currently that is not possible with the javascript API. Please consider adding support for that.

66 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Add-in: Word  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add keyboard shortcut

In all previous versions of MS Word I used ability to assign keyboard shortcut to a macro. However JavaScript API for Office seems to not support this. It is so strange and unexpected.
    Unfortunately absence of this feature is a blocker for me to develop custom plugins for Word 2013 online. Could be great to have it back!

61 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Add-in: Word  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow edits made by Office.js API functions (setDataAsync et. al.) to be 'undone' with Ctrl-z

Right now, an app makes changes to the sheet, there's no way for the user to undo those changes (or their previous changes).

61 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Add-in: General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Provide VSTO's DocumentBeforeSave event

This is necessary to implement app-dependent document content protection

57 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Office Apps for all Clients Applications

I saw a lot of devs and customers being confused caused by the point that Apps are not available across all Office client applications. Especially OneNote would be a great benefit. OneNote is one of the best Apps I've ever used. Can't imagine my daily business without OneNote. We've collected several ideas which would enhance OneNote even more and make customer more productive.

54 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Add-in: OneNote  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow access to page margins

Currently there is no direct way to access page margins in the Word JS API. If I want to insert a new document into the file, it maintains the page margins of the current document.

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Add-in: Word  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. getSelectedDataAsync for Powerpoint shapes

getSelectedDataAsync only return text string (if there is text in selected shape). Would be great to return more info of selected shape, perhaps in OOXML/HTML form, or at least a shape ID.

50 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Add-in: PowerPoint  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add SlideSelectionChanged event for Powerpoint in the JavaScript API

The JavaScript API for Office should be enhanced so developers have an event notifying if the current slide in the normal / edit mode is changed. This would allow for more contextual user interaction.

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Add-in: PowerPoint  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add Windows to "Microsoft 365 E5 Developer"

Need to test and work with Microsoft Virtual Desktop and use autopilot scenarios for Enterprise testing. The Pro to Enterprise step up integrated into Azure AD is needed

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Developer portals & programs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Use Office Add-ins (js) to import Mail Merge Data

My scenario is that I am creating a dataset in an office js task pane which I would like to feed into the native mail merge data source, this is available in the VSTO version of Office add ins by using the ActiveDocument.MailMerge.OpenDataSource(@path) method.

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Add-in: Word  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Improve VBA IDE: improved code coloring

I think the color coding of the Office VBA IDE could be improved to match, say, that of NoteBook++.

If you copy your VBA code into NoteBook++ (and select Language: Visual Basic) you'll see improved color coding compared to the current VBA IDE. For example:

(a)Line Numbers are red
    (b)The colors are easier to see (more contrast) and customizable
    (c) Characters between parentheses are red e.g. Me.lstContacts.Column(20) where the 20 is shown in red
    (d) If you highlight text with the mouse, other occurences of the same text are highlighted on the page
    (e) string characters between quotes are grey

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Bindings for Powerpoint

Extend Javascript API for Powerpoint to add and edit bindings as in Word and Excel.

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Add-in: PowerPoint  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Any way to get current active page for Word document while read data (for selected text)

i did not found any way to get current active page while reading data from Word document using Office AddIns API (JS).

So while my content is to large for search then i can move (scroll) document to that page from where this text (paragraph) was selected

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Add-in: Word  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. please provide option to navigate bookmarks in the word document

please provide option to navigate bookmarks in the word document (office app javascript API)

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Retrieve custom properties of a message/appointment from each mailbox

Currently the custom properties stored within an item are scoped to the user's mailbox. It would be great if we could access them everywhere. For example a scenario:
    Compose form which will store facilities required for a meeting within an appointment. In webmail the receptionist could open the read form of the appointment and see all the required facilities stored in custom properties.

Currently this is not possible, because the receptionist is viewing it from another mailbox where the custom properties are not available.

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Add-in: Outlook  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow Office.js api to save documents as read only

I posted this question @ http://stackoverflow.com/questions/39919312/office-js-saving-word-document-as-read-only

And got the answer that it's not currently possible.

Basically my problem is that I would like the word document to match what the pdf is like in our service. It could get confusing for the user if he thinks he can add text to the word document since it will NOT get updated at our end.

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Add-in: Word  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Access and manipulate non-rich text content controls

Currently I can only access non rich text content controls via ooxml. This is very cumbersome and error prone. It would be great if I could access items in dropdowns, checkbox values, or comboboxes without having to add the functionality in parsing ooxml.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Get all Styles in Office 365 Word Document

With office 365 word add-in development it is not possible to get all existing styles in a word document using word JavaScript API with as strongly type object of the API. The only way is using ooxml document. But the problem is this ooxml file size depend on the size of the word document. For an example, for 4-5 simple word paragraphs, ooxml size is nearly 13-15 pages. So it is very difficult to process styles in a large document using this ooxml. In VB and VBA, we can get all used styles through the API. So could you please…

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Deprecate localisation of Excel function names

Many ages ago someone in the USA got the GREAT idea to localize the names of Excel functions. She probably wanted to please international users from all over the world: why a user from Czechoslovakia should learn a new term "SUM"when he knows "SUMA" from school... And why the foreigner should learn "VALUE" when he knows "HODNOTA" in his language. Well so far so good. But the Czech guy says and writes word "text" exactly the same as his English colleague. God knows why she (the MS person in America) suddenly translated the function "TEXT" as "HODNOTA.NA.TEXT" in the Czech…

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Provide a feature which gives a list of all styles in Word in Office JS

Can you please provide a feature which gives a list of all styles in word in Office JS ? This will definitely fill up the gap between Office JS and VSTO

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Santosh, thank you for your suggestions. We really appreciate it.

Listing all styles in the document is a gap in the Word API and we’re reviewing this suggestion right now. We’ll keep you posted.

Regarding the Excel suggestion, we request you open another request under Excel Addins to track this item. This would enable voting for this item individually as well.

Hope this helps!
    Office Extensibility Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base