Feedback by UserVoice

Feature Requests and Feedback

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow users to insert text into Content Controls in MS Online

Contrary to the documentation, ContentControl.insertText throws an exception in the Online environment, regardless of the 'insertLocation' provided. For a full description, see my question here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msofficeword-msofficecustom/insert-text-into-contentcontrols-in-word-online/b33092e4-ca07-48a8-9740-e06340dbdde1

Is this a known issue?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Add-in: Word  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Give the Same ooxml Output when using getDataSync and getSelectedDataAsync for the Text Bindings

When I Need to format the Text Bindings contro(like color,lock control ,lock edit)l,when I use the getDataSync with cohersion type "OOXM" method the xml given by this method is different from getSelectedDataAsync ..the disadvantage of the getSelectedDataAsync I have to maualy select the binds and then it gives the XML,atleast have an option to pass the Id and return the XML for the corresponding binding control for the document...

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Add-in: Word  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Remove displaying the add-in URL from Security Info in add-in

Remove displaying the URL from the Security Info popup context menu. By having access to the add-in URL I was able to go to an add-in web page from a web browser and obtain all of the add-in's source code - javascripts, css, etc. This access does not protect developers. It also allows the capability to create your own manifest with a pointer to any add-in's main page. Assuming the add-in web page is TCP sourced within Excel I would suspect having access to the router pages would lend itself to the same concern.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Eric, and thank you for the suggestion. We really appreciate it! The recommendation to protect the IP of your add-in is to ask users to sign-in to your service. You are correct that anyone can attempt to hit your web page directly. Removing the “Show Security Info” option on the add-in menu is not something we are contemplating because users and developers should have the ability to see that information if they want to.

Thanks,
    Office Extensibility Team

4. MS Office Add-in location (URL) reset

MS Office Add-in (web) doesn't save URL destination inside. For example 1. you add content Add-Id in your document 2. change URL inside (click the link inside it) 3. save it

After you will open your saved document website inside your add-in will be default, not that you have reached before saving

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Add-in: General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Alexey, and thank you for the suggestion. We really appreciate it! You can achieve the outcome you are looking for by using document settings. Automatically saving the location of the webpage would unfortunately break several other add-ins that rely on the current behavior.

Thanks,

5. Add option to send chat message using the api (not bot)

send usr to user chat message (no chanell) via api\dsk

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Restricting access to Outlook add-in

As of right now there is no way to restrict who can install an add-in if a person knows the URL to the manifest file.

Of cause one could argue that the manifest file could be placed behind a login (either forms or normal Windows Auth), but still if a person somehow got hold of the manifest file (through an e-mail or what not), the person could still install the add-in.

It would make sense to add a section to the manifest file that could be used to describe characteristics about the users/domains that that are allowed to install the…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Add-in: Outlook  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are not planning on adding such entry in the manifest, reason being: it admins can control within their organization:
    a. that add-ins from the store can be used or not.
    b. deploy add-ins to specific (and intended) users or groups.

On top of the above, the add-in logic can also enforce such rule.

Hence we are not adding this functionality any time soon.

7. Enable Visual Studio 2013 for debugging word online apps

We want to debug the app in Word Online, but when we select a browser as "Start Action", the only "Start Document" available is ""New Excel Workbook.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Office Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow EWS GetUserConfiguration calls

It would be very helpful to get access to FAIs like IPM.Configuration.CategoryList in a more structured manner! There's tons of other similar data goodies for various Outlook client settings that are useful for reading a user's options for various solution scenarios

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Eric,

Thank you for the idea! Although we appreciate your time and effort to give us this feedback, this doesn’t align with the general strategic vision of our product – we are focused on adding more capabilities to the REST API, so this is not something on our EWS roadmap right now.

Thanks!

9. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Provide a means of getting the recipient NDR diag code (and other such information) via EWS

With MAPI, you could get the NDR recipient information (PRNDRDIAGCODE, PRNDRREASONCODE, PRREPORTTEXT, PRREPORTTIME,PRSUPPLEMENTARYINFO ). This doesn't seem to be exposed in any easily accessible (non-error prone) manner in EWS. It'd be nice to have it!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Provide download of code samples in Visual Studio 2013 for the tutorial on developing web apps

This is a fantastic tutorial but I would be able to learn so much more with the code samples. Would it be possible for Richard diZerega to prepare the sample files and post a link? Thanks in advance!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Developer portals & programs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi! I have spoken with Richard and he indicates that there is not a set of code samples for that tutorial. As that tutorial is out of date at this point, we will not be developing one. Thank you for your interest. I hope the rest of the code samples up on GitHub have been helping you get what you need!

Thanks,

13. Allow me to pin the Suite Bar on the side of the window

On wide screen displays, I would prefer to have the Suite Bar pinned to the side of the window instead of the top.

(This request is analogous to the task bar in Windows, which can be dragged to the sides as well as top or bottom.)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Office Store & Catalog  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your suggestion. We are actively thinking through the Suite bar experience, and while we may not implement this feature per se, we do plan to allow additional customization experiences in the future. To set expectations, this is a lot of work (and therefore requires more time/planning/consideration), but we know that many people are asking for it. Feature announcements are always posted on our blog (http://blogs.office.com), so keep an eye out there for more details.

2 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base