Feedback by UserVoice

Feature Requests and Feedback

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Office JS API built for handling multiple items

Unfortunately Office JS API built for handling a single item, Office.context.mailbox.item

If this can be extended to handle multiple items then it will really nice e.g. Office.context.mailbox.items

Regards.

Aftab Ahmad

61 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    4 comments  ·  Add-in: Outlook  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add keyboard shortcut

In all previous versions of MS Word I used ability to assign keyboard shortcut to a macro. However JavaScript API for Office seems to not support this. It is so strange and unexpected.
    Unfortunately absence of this feature is a blocker for me to develop custom plugins for Word 2013 online. Could be great to have it back!

61 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Add-in: Word  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow edits made by Office.js API functions (setDataAsync et. al.) to be 'undone' with Ctrl-z

Right now, an app makes changes to the sheet, there's no way for the user to undo those changes (or their previous changes).

61 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Add-in: General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Provide VSTO's DocumentBeforeSave event

This is necessary to implement app-dependent document content protection

57 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Add-in: Word  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. i neeed persian calender in my office please make an add-in for Office to add persian calender to it

i neeed persian calender in my office please make an add-in for Office to add persian calender to it

56 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Add-in: Word  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow to customize the pop-up dialogue title when it is called by displayDialogAsync

I'm using Office.context.ui.displayDialogAsync to display a popup dialog.

In word and powerpoint for Windows, the Window title is shown as the add-in name.

In word and powerpoint Online, the window title is 'Message from Add-in: ' followed by the add-in name. This doesn't look too good.

I suggest to let user customize the title his way by

(a) provide the title as a parameter to the api

(b) use the html page title

or at least (c) remove the text 'Message from Add-in: ' in the case of office Online

56 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Add-in: Word  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow Application-Level or Document-Level Office Addins

In VSTO, we can create Application-Level or Document-Level documents. In Office-JS, It seems that at the moment it is a mixture of application level for the ribbon/pane and workbook level for the JS.
    This separation is important so developers can sell, for instance, a specific workbook for its own and only own ribbons and panes, or a generic applciation level tool.
    A consequence of this request is that it should be possible to attach an office addin (initialization) to a specific document.

56 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Add-in: General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Create an API for reading resource strings and URLs from the add-in manifest

It would be very useful for us to be able to customise strings and images within our add-in pages by changing the manifest.
    Our use case is for intranet deployment customised for departments and/or companies.
    Something like GetResource(id:string): string would be very helpful.

55 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Add-in: Outlook  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow office.js Outlook add-ins to open a new compose email form

Our use case is to display email addresses for contacts in a user's CRM (other colleagues of the sender, for example), and those addresses be hyperlinks to open a new email in the active Outlook with the "TO:" field pre-populated with that address.

55 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Provide Mail App Compose appointment functionality to manage resources

In compose app scenario there is no way to manage resources.
    1. if you open a meeting in OWA that has resources configured, you cannot access to this resources.
    2. if you create a meeing in Outlook and you add "Room Mailboxes" as required or optional attendees, OL resolve those partecipants as Resources and you can no longer manage those elements.

54 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Office Apps for all Clients Applications

I saw a lot of devs and customers being confused caused by the point that Apps are not available across all Office client applications. Especially OneNote would be a great benefit. OneNote is one of the best Apps I've ever used. Can't imagine my daily business without OneNote. We've collected several ideas which would enhance OneNote even more and make customer more productive.

54 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Add-in: OneNote  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow access to page margins

Currently there is no direct way to access page margins in the Word JS API. If I want to insert a new document into the file, it maintains the page margins of the current document.

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Add-in: Word  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. getSelectedDataAsync for Powerpoint shapes

getSelectedDataAsync only return text string (if there is text in selected shape). Would be great to return more info of selected shape, perhaps in OOXML/HTML form, or at least a shape ID.

50 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Add-in: PowerPoint  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. "Show original message" button was removed and lets bring it back

This functionality was the main reason we started using actionable items in emails. This allowed you to be able to switch back and fourth between the email behind the card and the card. Maybe it would be better to call it something like "See Accompanied Message".

50 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Add-in: Outlook  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add support to read field codes in the document using office.js API

I am trying to read custom field using Word Office.js API, where field is added as follows:- (Insert -> Quick Parts -> Field)
    Using VSTO addins i am able to read custom fields and also able to create fields, but didn't able to achieve this using Office.js for word.
    Please support this through Office.js.

50 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Add-in: Word  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Open up more functionality for PowerPoint in Office.js

The current PowerPoint capabilities for inserting text/images is very limited and it would be nice to be able to interact with the elements on a slide.

My specific scenario is to move an old VSTO plugin over to the add-in model, where I iterate all text elements, and change the language of the text boxes. It's very common in Europe that the template is either in the native language or English, and content is then opposite of the template. A link to the VSTO can be found at https://officeaddin.codeplex.com/.

If adding direct slide capabilities is a stretch, then a…

49 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Add-in: PowerPoint  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Enable Add-ins when creating Appointments in Group Calendars

It should be possible to use Add-in while creating meetings in group calendar. This works in Outlook Web but not in native.

Our applications helps to create structured agenda for a meeting but since the add-in is disabled while creating meeting in group calendar, we cant use the app in group calendar using Outlook 2016 native.

Currently in Outlook native Add-ins are not supported in shared mailboxes this is mentioned in details in the below Stack Overflow question.

https://stackoverflow.com/q/48075490/5767992

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Add-in: Outlook  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Dont allow COM/VSTO outlook plugins to disable add-ins

As a user and developer of outlook 2016 add-ins I have currently run into an issue for which there is no resolution.

COM/VSTO addins appear to have the ability to disable add-ins developed using the new add-in architecture.

See issue reported here to the developers of the 'FindTime' add-in.

https://findtime.uservoice.com/forums/320121-bugs-let-s-squash-them/suggestions/11633973-findtime-greyed-out-when-creating-new-mail-in-outl

A customer of ours recently reported this issue with the brand new plugin we just developed, where our add-in was 'greyed' out in the 'Compose' view. The root cause was because the user had the 'Salesforce for Outlook' COM plugin installed which was disabling all other add-ins.

It is of…

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Add-in: Outlook  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Need to have an onClose event for the task pane or content pane add-in

There should be an onClose event I can ask the user to save settings, or ask them if they are sure, and then prevent the close if necessary. If the add-ins are going to be useful business apps, the user experience of saving before closing is extremely important.

47 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Add-in: General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Need content Controls found on desktop Excel and Word applications to be avaiable in web version of Excel and Word

Content controls like found in the desktop version of Excel Word need to also exist on the Web version of Excel Word and function the same. The same controls should be able to be used on the desktop version of Excel and Word and the Web version of Excel and Word. This would allow moving Excel and Word files containing content controls between the desktop and Office 365's OneDrive and SharePoint sites. The Workbooks and documents with content controls would work the same in both environments (desktop and Online). This is a critical need!

46 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Add-in: Word  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Jim, thank you for your feedback! Please note that there’s no notion of content controls in Excel. Content controls feature is only available in Word.

Also, the content control API is already available in Word Online. However, content controls are currently not editable in Word Online, and this is currently being worked on. We’ll keep you posted when this is available.

Thanks!
    Office Extensibility Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base