Feature Requests and Feedback

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add ItemSend event (so add-in can cancel email)

Would like to have an ItemSend event in the web API just like the regular API does. Is that on the planning stage for future releases?

188 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      10 comments  ·  Add-in: Outlook  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • client-side ribbon manipulation

I'd like to see the ability to register ribbon items (tabs and their children) dynamically on the client-side via my app or some tenant scoped javascript that I can register (needs to work with SharePoint Online and should not block submittal to the store). Right now the only way to register a ribbon item of any sort is to do so during the app installation which doesn’t allow us to extend the ribbon over time (either with our own service adding items or by allowing the user to add their own items via an app or whatever).

25 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        Under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Add-in: General/Shared  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Provide additional features around Exchange Permissions.

This request is multi-part:

- Provide a way to find what/where a particular user has access and to what permissions level, both for administrators and to the end user without a resource intensive powershell script (today's method).

- Provide a built-in Permissions Administrator RBAC role that limits the administrators ability to only manage permissions (Access and Sending Rights) to a user or group. Provide them with a limited ECP view. No access to content, just Rights Management.

- Provide a Permissions Troubleshooting tool via the Remote Connectivity Analyzer.

17 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          Under review  ·  4 comments  ·  EWS & Outlook APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Create Word Comments via Office API

Hi,

Could you add functionality to create Word comments via the Office API?

I know have a proof of concept, named Feedback+, in the store where we create comments into a word document. But this has a bug. It creates a paragraph everytime someone creates a comment in the document.

Thanks,

JW

26 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            2 comments  ·  Add-in: Word  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Need events for Office Web versions of Word and Excel

The following list of events found on the client version of Word and Excel would aid in development of apps that work the same as current client addin apps work.

Excel Open Event
            Excel Close Event
            Excel BeforeClose Event
            Workbook activate event

Word Open Event
            Word Close Event
            Word beforeClose event
            Document activate event

206 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              11 comments  ·  Add-in: General/Shared  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Task Management API

While reviewing the O365 Preview API I was wondering what about Task-Management. Currently there are two systems for task management (Exchange and SharePoint). Would be great to see a roadmap for TaskManagement in the O365 Story and of course get an API to easily connect Apps to consume tasks. (No CSOM required just give us REST :D)

233 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                15 comments  ·  Microsoft Graph/O365 REST APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Extend Word Javascript api to close the editing window

In a workflow scenario (not sharepoint workflow, something custom) where we want to have a button in a Word Add-In taskpane to close the Word Online window after saving the file. In this button we initiate a next workflow step by saving the document, initiate the next step by e.g. setting a flag in sharepoint and closing the document editing session of the user.

This could either be an office general api or a word specific api (this is where we need it the most).

68 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  1 comment  ·  Add-in: Word  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Ability to open/replace workbook with Excel JS API in a similar way Word API can with insertFileFromBase64

We have a requirement to load a workbook from a remote source from within the add-in. User logs in, selects from a list and workbook template loads.

With the Word JS API we can load a template remotely using an AJAX call that returns the workbook as a base64 string and then insert the response into the current workbook using the replace option. AFAIK this doesn't exist for the Excel API and we download the workbook and then instruct the user to open from the download pane.

82 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    2 comments  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Mark, thank you for the feedback! We are currently trying to determine the feasibility both in terms of design and usability – especially in the online experience where the concept of ‘application’ is different. We will share any updates with you.

As always, when the design draft is ready, we’ll present design for review under the open-spec branches of this repository: https://github.com/officedev/office-js-docs.

Thanks!
                    Office Extensibility Team

• Less restrictions to the Office 365 REST API

I'm looking into ways to migrate email from an on-premise Exchange server to Office 365. The REST API ( http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/dn605896 ) looks promising but a bit restrictive. Certain properties like isDraft, DateTimeSent, ConversationId,.. are set as read-only. While it makes sense that a user wouldn't be able to change these things I see no reason to block applications from creating custom mail messages.

As an example, after I create a new mail with the API it is set as draft but I want to have the message show as if it had been sent already. When I send a PATCH…

23 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      2 comments  ·  Microsoft Graph/O365 REST APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Provide VSTO's DocumentBeforeSave event

This is necessary to implement app-dependent document content protection

19 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Add-in: Word  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Retrieve custom properties of a message/appointment from each mailbox

Currently the custom properties stored within an item are scoped to the user's mailbox. It would be great if we could access them everywhere. For example a scenario:
                        Compose form which will store facilities required for a meeting within an appointment. In webmail the receptionist could open the read form of the appointment and see all the required facilities stored in custom properties.

Currently this is not possible, because the receptionist is viewing it from another mailbox where the custom properties are not available.

20 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          Under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Add-in: Outlook  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Allow access to page margins

Currently there is no direct way to access page margins in the Word JS API. If I want to insert a new document into the file, it maintains the page margins of the current document.

8 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            1 comment  ·  Add-in: Word  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Allow PowerPoint Add-In to create new Slide

Add support for the Add-In to create a new slide in the presentation. A possible use case would be to support the ability for an add-in to insert template marketing slides. A sales person needs to create a new presentation. The add-in pulls the latest marketing slide from a repository and adds them to the presentation ensuring that the sales person is always using the latest slides

27 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  Add-in: PowerPoint  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Office 365 APIs (SDK & REST) - Post Public Change Log

It's currently not easy to see what has recently changed / improved in the Office 365 API's & SDK.

For instance, we can see the NuGet packages have already been updated since they were initially published (http://www.nuget.org/packages/Microsoft.Office365.OutlookServices) but what changed in the new version? Is there a new REST version? The project site takes you to the VS Gallery... but there are no links -> a change log.

Suggestion: Create a repo on GitHub.com/OfficeDev named "Office 365 APIs - REST & SDK" or on dev.office.com where Microsoft will post two change logs... one for the REST endpoint &…

15 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                2 comments  ·  Microsoft Graph/O365 REST APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Andrew,

As we discussed earlier this month at the MVP summit, this is definitely something that we are actively looking into. However, we’re finding that aggregating changes across multiple teams on a regular basis is much more difficult than we originally expected. Expect an update hopefully sooner rather than later as we sort details out.

Thanks,
                                Dorrene Brown
                                Office Developer Platform Team

• OneNote WebApi for On Premisis Offce Web App Server

When developing on Premises enterprise Web applications there is a need to integrate Office Web Applications into them to provide additional functionality where data privacy is critical (for example through legislation).

For this reason enterprises often cannot utilise Azure hosted solutions such as OneNote online, but must use on-premises servers (an example is Office Web App server which provides in-browser support for Office Applications in SharePoint).

While it is possible to create a windows desktop application that can use the OneNote COM API provided by a locally installed copy of OneNote, it appears not to be possible to provide the…

7 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  Under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Add-in: OneNote  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Merge Apps for Office and Sharepoint API (Ewa namespace) and Office 2013 JS API

Is there a reason why you would not provide a common base for the two API's?
                                  The Ewa namespace offers a lot of functionality requested in many ideas related to the Offie 2013 API - it seems you already have the code and the interface in the Ewa namespace ?

7 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    Under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Add-in: General/Shared  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Deprecate localisation of Excel function names

Many ages ago someone in the USA got the *GREAT* idea to localize the names of Excel functions. She probably wanted to please international users from all over the world: why a user from Czechoslovakia should learn a new term "SUM"when he knows "SUMA" from school... And why the foreigner should learn "VALUE" when he knows "HODNOTA" in his language. Well so far so good. But the Czech guy says and writes word "text" exactly the same as his English colleague. God knows why she (the MS person in America) suddenly translated the function "TEXT" as "HODNOTA.NA.TEXT" in the Czech…

5 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Bindings for Powerpoint

Extend Javascript API for Powerpoint to add and edit bindings as in Word and Excel.

10 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        Under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Add-in: PowerPoint  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Office 365 SDK for Java

Hi, Would it be possible to add a Office 365 SDK for Java so that it can be used for web applications.

Thanks.

18 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          Under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Microsoft Graph/O365 REST APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • I'd like to have a Task Pane or area like in Mail that activates within the View Contact view or Edit Contact view.

In the past I've enhanced the users experience in contacts using a custom form/form region and would like to expand that to the contacts in Office 365.

8 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            Under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Add-in: Outlook  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base