Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Extend Word Javascript api to close the editing window

In a workflow scenario (not sharepoint workflow, something custom) where we want to have a button in a Word Add-In taskpane to close the Word Online window after saving the file. In this button we initiate a next workflow step by saving the document, initiate the next step by e.g. setting a flag in sharepoint and closing the document editing session of the user.

This could either be an office general api or a word specific api (this is where we need it the most).

90 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Ernst Scheithauer shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Matt Coggin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At Medtronic we are working on a Word Add-in that creates a new document with context.application.createDocument(myBase64). This opens a new window and we have no way to close the original empty document. The user has to manually close it.

• Ernst Scheithauer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Office Team,
    great to hear that, I have some more info on this topic. The WOPI API has the possibility to declare the close url that would be navigated after the user closes the document.

However, this url can only be defined by a custom wopi server, but cannot be defined by an application when using SharePoint.

As an application I want to define the url that is opened after closing the document using this api.

Can you please connsider this in your review?

Thanks, Ernst

Feedback and Knowledge Base