Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Support for hiding/showing task pane through the Office Javascript API

Currently, there is no ability to hide or show the task pane from the Office Javascript API.

100 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Mun Wai Chan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • bs0d commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update? I'd like a clean way to use a different task pane APP depending on the tab selected by a user. I could probably create a workaround that loaded a special DIV based on a response invoked through a bind, but I'm already using workarounds to invoke macros from office add-ins. It's more clean when there's a canned function to do so.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need to be able to close the task pane from both Outlook and Word. Please add this!
    Thank you.

• Peter Lindlau commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,
    this request is now open for more than a year...
    When do you consider implementing it?
    Is there something like a "release plan" for the backlog - is it public somewhere?

• abhishek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be excellent!
    Yes, this feature will greatly improve the user experience. Please add it ASAP.
    But please make sure that the task pane is hidden and not removed, so that all objects such as event handlers stay alive

• Les Nie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this feature will greatly improve the user experience. Please add it ASAP.

• Peter Lindlau commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be excellent!
    But please make sure that the task pane is hidden and not removed, so that all objects such as event handlers stay alive

• Felipe Costa Gualberto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, it would be great.
    This would cover this scenario: suppose the user selects only 10 cells, so an addin command will not take long to execute and I don't need to disturb him with a task pane in his screen because it'll be fast.
    However, there may be cases where he selects an entire column and I need to show him a progress bar and additional information (like cancel button). So, I would need to call my generic progress bar task pane. After the progress bar finishes, it would be great to close it automatically.

Feedback and Knowledge Base