Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

PowerPoint API

Build out the specific host PowerPoint API with near complete parity to the control that was available in VSTO add-ins for PowerPoint. We have an add-in we want to build out in the new Web Add-in platform, but can't due to the extremely limited capabilities of the current Office.js API. You've had years to work on it, at least be more forth coming with where things are in development.

336 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Arjun Yadav commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi All

I am creating a PowerPoint Web Add-in plugin to publish presentation (All ppt slides) to the server as an image and video format.
    Is there any javascript API (office.js) for this?

Thanks.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This js office api direction is more-or-less abandoned, no news about it in the last 2 years, even though there was a new office version released.

We are stuck at VSTOs (which is also extremely limited and make very trivial tasks complicated, brittle or outright impossible).

Any news or plans (in the coming year) from Microsoft POV? Is there going to be a PowerPoint API (like there is for Excel and Word)?

Microsoft is pushing to go from VSTO to Web Add-ins, but very basic functionalities like adding a new slide or selecting the Title- and Text area (within JS) are not even possible. I really want to develop Web Add-ins, but without the basic functionalities I just won't be able to and have to stick to VSTO. So any updates or plans @Microsoft?

This is really necessary! I built a VSTO Add-in for PowerPoint, but I can't publish it to the Office Store without being able to make it a Web Add-in, or at least I am not finding a way to do that...

Powerpoint is the most used office application after Outlook in an enterprise. Hard to grasp that all other applications have future driven app apis and PowerPoint not.

• Codecrasher99 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates on the Powerpoint host API for web? Can we get a timeline on when the same would be made available.

• Yann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,
    Any news on that point?
    Will a powerpoint javascript API be available one day??
    We can't affort to invest anymore on VSTO now so what do we have do to Mr Microsoft if we need Powerpoint extensions?
    Thanks

• Jan Schultink commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Of all the Office apps, PowerPoint has the most potential to be enriched by 3rd party apps. Please bring it up to par with VSTO, so that we can develop add-ins that run across Windows and Mac OSX.

We need to set document properties and replace placeholders inside the slides. Would that be possible some time soon?

• Marco Salino commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A PowerPoint API are the most important driver for us to integrate our products with the Graph APIs

• Philipp Tekampe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand that a PowerPoint API might not be on top of your list. But it's now 2018 and nothing has happened. At least give us a signal where things are going: Will VSTO be discontinued? Is there a PowerPoint API in development? And when will it be probably available? I have stakeholders asking me to support multi-platform and I have no idea what to tell them...

• Hlynur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We really need this. We have Web add-ins for Word that some of our customers would also want to use on PowerPoint but we are unable to enable our add-ins for PowerPoint without an API.

Example scenarios would be:

- Adding custom data to Shapes, Slides and Presentation (similar to what is possible with the Tag property on Content Controls in Word)

- Manipulation of Document Properties. Both built-in and custom.

- Importing of all the slides in a base64 file after the current slide of the current presentation. Similar to insertFileFromBase64 in Word:
    context.presentation.insertSlidesFromFileFromBase64(base64File, 'after')

We need to provide office add-ins which will work on different platforms. Making a PowerPoint host API would solve a problem with making add-ins for Windows, Mac and Office online at once.

• Baris Bikmaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really a must. It is hard for us to provide app for other platforms when PowerPoint is not really supported. Customers don't want to have an app for Word and then a VSTO Add-in for PowerPoint. They want to have a consolidated environment.

Feedback and Knowledge Base