Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Deprecate localisation of Excel function names

Many ages ago someone in the USA got the *GREAT* idea to localize the names of Excel functions. She probably wanted to please international users from all over the world: why a user from Czechoslovakia should learn a new term "SUM"when he knows "SUMA" from school... And why the foreigner should learn "VALUE" when he knows "HODNOTA" in his language. Well so far so good. But the Czech guy says and writes word "text" exactly the same as his English colleague. God knows why she (the MS person in America) suddenly translated the function "TEXT" as "HODNOTA.NA.TEXT" in the Czech localization. Instead of function "FIXED" she invented "ZAOKROUHLIT.NA.TEXT". I don't want impede with many many examples of illogical and obscure translations she used.

This all would not be that problem, if he had to use only the local set of functions over his life. But an professional has to deal with English MS Office as well as with localised Office. He seeks advice and searches documentation often in English. So he has to swich among the various function names.

And the WORST comes now with Sharepoint calculated columns: He has to enter Czech functions in web browser, but the English functions in SPDesigner simultaneously.

As a result he has to learn BOTH the illogical sets of function names, English and localised ones (but more probably still searches for the translations). PLUS must always double check what language environment is currently switch on.

I would like to express many personal thanks to the US person that strived to satisfy international users... But I'm hoping MS realized over the years that such an experiment has brought more complications than benefits and that it complicates things still yet more as the services are more and more complex (clouds, coopearating users from many countries etc.).

14 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google