Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

client-side ribbon manipulation

I'd like to see the ability to register ribbon items (tabs and their children) dynamically on the client-side via my app or some tenant scoped javascript that I can register (needs to work with SharePoint Online and should not block submittal to the store). Right now the only way to register a ribbon item of any sort is to do so during the app installation which doesn’t allow us to extend the ribbon over time (either with our own service adding items or by allowing the user to add their own items via an app or whatever).

84 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Gary Lapointe shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Zohaib Akhtar Khan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I already have the same functionality for my Com Add-in. I think it would be a good idea to have this very soon for Office JS as well.

• Peter Lindlau commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This idea now sits there for almost 4 years.
    @Microsoft: Don't you consider this as a real fundamental requirement?

• Naveed Butt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second that. Very nice idea.

A lot of VBA customers need this kind of functionality, and if this functionality is provided, it will be a big step towards getting rid of VBA in long term.

• Tim Miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

plenty of business reasons to do this. using the vba model there is the opportunity to add company buttons for common tasks, data synchs from local file stores or sql servers for instance or providing ready access to common macros. these also need to be available offline hence the reason for adding them to the ribbon

Feedback and Knowledge Base