I suggest you ...

Extend the getFileAsync functionality to work on Excel as well.

Extend the getFileAsync functionality to work on Excel as well. It's essential in order to be able to export the file to a web service.

109 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback! We’re happy to announce that you can now get Excel files using the getFileAsync() method. You can read more about it here: https://dev.office.com/reference/add-ins/shared/document.getfileasync

And there is also a code sample of how to get Excel files here: https://github.com/OfficeDev/office-js-snippets/blob/master/samples/excel/82-document/get-file-in-slices-async.yaml

Please check it out and give us feedback.

Thanks!
    Office Extensibility Team

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Richard Edwards commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would love it if you could enable this for PDFs. We really want to be able to export to a PDF and then upload that to a web service.

Any news on timescales for this?

• Edwin Straver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It has been more than 1 year since the "We hope to have this in beta by the end of the quarter".
        Should we just give up hope?

Can someone at least give an update on the status?

• Sudhi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, we hope to have this in beta end of this quarter along with few other Excel API additions.

• Adriano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to know if this feature is being developed or planned.

We work on an ECM tool and can not process Excel documents for the moment because of the lack of support of this method.

Can anyone give a feedback on this?

• Anders commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to hear feedback on this as well, currently developing an app that works on all platforms except Excel desktop. Do I need to look into other ways of doing this, or is it coming soon?

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

Can we see a roadmap for this feature anywhere. The github page seems to have stayed the same for a few months now and I can't find any comments/roadmap on the dev.office site. Please, please :) we hanging out for this feature...

Cheers

Feedback and Knowledge Base