Feedback by UserVoice

Feature Requests and Feedback

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Disable the automatic creation of Calculated Columns in Excel

We have a use case in an Office.js TaskPane app, to have tables that have different formulas on each row of the table. If we write the formulas to the table, each column ends up with the last formula that was written to that column.

The only workaround we've found to this was to first convert the table range (calling Table.convertToRange()), set Range.formulas properties of the target cells and again construct the table with workbook.tables.add(range).

Since the back and forth conversion between Table and Range is inefficient, error-prone and visually disturbing, it would be great if there was an API…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Microsoft Excel Professional 2013 DOESN'T always SORT correctly

An add-in is not necessary.

What IS NECESSARY is for the Excel Developers to FIX Excel 2013 Professional so that it sorts correctly.

I've reported previously that when sorting colums, Excel does no sort items correctly:

Take for example, :

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add a close button to newly created tab by add-in

Add a close button to the tabs or some way to close the tabs by add-in, so that user can end the current session/logout and move for another without mess with previous application.

Thanks
    Abhijit

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add an event for data binding among taskpane and ribbon button functionalities

Create an event so that modification in a dialogue window can update the task pane and perform as a single page application to perform two way data-binding as in angular js.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Programmatic Focus range from task pane command

Allow js commands to focus cells for user input
    maybe range.focus();
    to allow user to write into cell after function has run without having to click the cell.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Insert hyperlink into Excel in Apps for Office

Make it possible to insert hyperlink into Excel

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Mikhail, thanks for your feedback! This is a very popular feature. This feature is now available as public preview. Please check out the open spec docs at this location to get more details: https://github.com/OfficeDev/office-js-docs/blob/ExcelJs_OpenSpec/reference/excel/range.md

Additionally, you can try out the new API features by using the built-in code snippets that are available in Script Lab https://github.com/OfficeDev/script-lab/blob/master/README.md. In Script Lab, you’ll find samples that use preview APIs listed in the Preview APIs category:

Please give it a try and let us know what you think.

Thanks! 
    Office Extensibility Team 

7. setSelectedDataAsync with data type “HTML” and “Office Open XML” in Excel

Make it possible to use setSelectedDataAsync with data type “HTML” and “Office Open XML” in Excel.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Access Sharepoint Sites with Excel Android App

We have user's who use Android Mobiles and are wanting to access the different SharePoint sites/folders and libraries within the Excel App, but are given very limited access to each of them. However, this is not a problem for Apple devices.

Can something be done to improve the functionality of the excel app for Android users, which can already be seen with Apple devices?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. will you stop fucking about please

will you test your modifications before giving us the shits

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. provide a facility to make accurate SQUARE cells in Excel to make simple plan drawings

I make lots of plan drawings of area layouts using Excel, but it is difficult to resolve the Width/Height ratio because a square cell is impossible to create (I've tried pixels columns & rows, it doesn't work, the aspect resolution is approximately 1.12: 1). A square cell creation facility would be great. There's a guy in Canada whose created a macro for this and it works, and is very useful. Why not make this a standard feature "Create Squares"?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Fix issue with Office.context.document.settings.saveAsync on Excel Web

I created an office 365 add in for Word, Excel and Power Point. I am able to do Office.context.document.settings.set('key', value) then call Office.context.document.settings.saveAsync(callback) and the state will be saved next time I open the document. But with excel these settings never seem to persist, and it seems to be a bug specific to excel. There are no errors returned just doesn't persist.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Ability to determine Current Edit/View only Mode in Excel Online (High Priority)

This is less an idea than a serious bug - it applies mainly to Excel Online.

I am writing a Taskpane add-in for Excel using Javascript and the OfficeJS API. While on the Excel Online platform, I am trying to figure out how to tell what mode the workbook document is in (i.e. view-only or editing). I ran in to this because when I first open an Excel spreadsheet in the online browser, it is in read/view-only mode:

If you try and edit a worksheet "manually" by clicking on a cell and typing, it won't let you (the appropriate behavior).…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Allow an option for network access from macros for Mac Excel 2016

I can run a network utility from a container in Mac Excel 2011 to retrieve data for formatting within Excel. In Excel 2016 for Mac, the container model does not permit me to do that. Can there (or is there?) not be a switch that can be set by an admin?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Fix Chart.getImage() output

Hi,
    I am experiencing issues with the Chart.getImage() method in a Excel javascript add-in.
    The method defaults by outputing an image almost two times too large for the chart which is located at the top-left corner and the rest is being filled with transparency.
    Things do not get better when specifying the width, height and filling method to getImage : "Fit" and "FitAndCenter" do not really fit (same as with the default), and "Fill" doesn't fill at all, it looks very close to "Fit" but with different output dimensions (the chart aspect ratio is kept).
    I am running Excel 16.0.6965.2117…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Add Sheet Codename to the JS-API

Add the ability to the Excel JS-API to get the sheet Codename Read-Only (as in in VBA) to allow the name of a worksheet to persist in a way that is not changeable by the user.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Excel JS Re-calculation mode to only calc dirty cells (F9 equivalent)

Add option to only calc dirty cells... Full re-calc or soft-recalc option is not always suitable.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Global.office.context.document.getFileAsync support for Excel Desktop

I am developing an Office 365 add in for Word, Excel and Power Point, I usually can retrieve the file contents by calling Global.office.context.document.getFileAsync and getting each slice until I have the full file. It seems it is not supported in Excel Desktop although it is in Excel Web. Im not sure if it is just a bug or if its not supported yet, but it would be nice to have that capability across the board.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Allow boolean (and, or) functions to operate elementwise on an array

I was trying to do a calculation using multiple conditions on an array, but the boolean functions operate on the whole array at the same time, rather than returning an elementwise array, the same as the if function. The difference in behaviour means that the boolean functions are less flexible than the IF function that they're used in

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Excel JS API property on Range object to read the associated name (if any)

Add .name property to range to link associated named item

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Prevent Excel API calls from changing on-screen data if not in Edit Mode

I have written an Excel Add-In using the OfficeJS library, using approved and exposed APIs. The Add-in is specifically designed to limit the ways data can be entered in to the spreadsheet, so by default, the main worksheet is protected (no password). When the user makes changes through my Add-in interface, I un-protect the sheet, make the changes, and then re-protect it (all programmatically via standard OfficeJS/ExcelJS calls). The problem is, even when the user is not in "edit mode", the calls to the OfficeJS library work, or appear to - that is, the changes show up on the screen.…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base