Feedback by UserVoice

Feature Requests and Feedback

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow dialog boxes to interact with the Word document

According to the documentation ...
    "Dialog boxes - Display custom UI in a dialog box that overlays the Office document. Use a dialog box for interactions that require focus and more real estate, and do not require a side-by-side interaction with the document." (Emphasis added)

There is some emphasis in the Office Add-in documentation regarding consistency of the add-in UI with the Word/Office experience, which i whole-heartedly agree with, but this dialog requirement is actually not consistent with the existing Word/Office user experience. Users regularly interact with dialog boxes.

It's probably a small point, but I want to write…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Add-in: Word  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. onScroll event and getViewPortParagraphs method in Word api

It would be very helpful to now when the user scrolls and to know which part of the document the user is currently viewing.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Add support to execute VBA macro from officeJs word taskpane.

Most of the word API's OfficeJs is not supported like xml mapping with content controls. But there are other way like VBA macro to do it.
    So if it is possible to call VBA macro from OfficeJs API we are able to use most of the API's from VBA which are not supported by Officejs.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Word Add-in: MAC IndexedDB behaviour is strange

I have stored some data from word add-in into IndexedDB. So, For that session, I am able to retrieve data and work with that.

But when I close the word(Completely Quit from menu), and reopens, then I open word add-in and I don't get access to data into IndexedDB. Also, not getting any error.

Again, when I close add-in and reopen, I get access to data. So, I don't get access only first time when I completely quit word and reopens again.
    It's strange behavior.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. add more preferences for references insertion

that enable user to edit font of endnotes and footnotes and enable user to add bracket in refernce

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Provide access to commentsExtended.xml

I'm currently developing a Word add-in and would like to be able to access commentsExtended.xml from the API so that I can gather when a comment is a reply or has been resolved.

As of now, I have to use a 3rd party library to read the docx file to get to the XML. When the document is encrypted, this is not an option and must inform users that replies and resolutions are not available if the document is encrypted (password protected).

If this XML (and perhaps all XML content under /word) could be exposed via getooxml(), this would be…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Slow performance of getFileAsync

Currently we can use Office.getFileAsync api to get the file in slices using getSliceAsync. Then we can construct it into a file, or a blob.

This API seems to very slow when it comes to performance.
    In the Desktop app, it is fast, takes less than a second mostly.

But in Word online, it takes easily 4-5 seconds even for an empty document. And in our testing for files with more content it took 10-20 seconds.
    So to improve performance, i was trying to request all slices at once, instead of waiting for first one to be returned and then…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Look again at what people actually do in Word...

Just read "Build your first Word task pane add-in". I'd like to suggest that before you start giving developers examples of what one can do with Yeoman and Javascript, that you actually analyze what people use Word for right now.

For the desktop version of Word, where most power users live, applying a style then changing the font is a ludicrous example of automating Word. This is also true of any advanced automation in Excel, too. That you think javascript as it is now being promoted can compete with the power of .net, or better still, vba, is cute. But…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. 2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Enable adjustment of paragraph width in Outline View of Word

In Outline View text automatically wraps after about 40 characters (12 pt) at Outline Level 1, but only about 25 characters at Level 6. This is very inconvenient for writing lengthy manuscripts with many Levels, because the text wraps so frequently in the higher Outline Levels that text is squished into a long narrow column, which makes it difficult to scroll through the document. Please enable adjustment of the point at which text wraps in Outline View, so it is possible to fit more words per line in higher Levels. (A quick fix is to reduce the font size, but…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Auth0

An updated version of the Office-Add-in-Auth0 located at https://github.com/OfficeDev/Office-Add-in-Auth0, would be much appreciated.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Ability to get shareable URL of the Document, using which other users can Open it online

Currently we can only get the document download URL using Office.content.document.url.

We can kinda convert this URL to open it on online version, if we can split it into 2 parts to something like -
    [site URL + Library location]/_layouts/WordViewer.aspx?id=[document path]
    This method is tricky because, we don't exactly know, which part of the URL is their site URL and which is the Document path.
    Also this solution seems to be sharepoint/onedrive specific.
    Also it doesn't take you to the editor page, it goes to an intermediate page where user has to choose to edit in browser or desktop editor.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Correctly Order Textboxes in Document Layout by Position

When users insert content controls and the ordering of them matters, the OfficeJS API does not correctly order them if one is present within a textbox. The visual ordering appears to have no effect on the order in which OfficeJS reads content controls when there is one within textbox.

Example:
    Inserting a Numerical Citations

1. User inserts a citation

2. User moves to next line and inserts a textbox

3. Users inserts a citation within said textbox.

4. Check the ordering as they are read by OfficeJS and see it is inconsistent with the visual ordering on the document.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Allow toggling of LinkToPrevious with office.js

VBA and .net both allow for editing the Link To Previous property of headers/footers.

This functionality is missing from office.js, and thus requires extensive workarounds often involving other add-ins, XML, and/or weirdly specific templates to replicate.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. 2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. easy symbol enter

Hi. im looking for addon similiar to the program "Mathmatica" where you can press esc and, " , appears then you enter, sigma then esc and you typed the sigma symbol, its easy too fund symbols that way. now you have to look for it or google alt code

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Making the document read only

Is it possible to make a document read only for specific users, through the add-in?
    Currently, we can put the content inside a content control, and set cannotEdit and cannotDelete to true.

But this will set it for all the users, is there any way for it to be set only for current user viewing the document.

Or If we have the ability to perform document share action in the addin, then we can set which users can edit the document and cannot.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Scroll Event for Word Document in Office JS

I am developing a word add-in using the Office js framework. I wanted to add functionality on the scroll of word document. I have checked the API documentation but to my surprise, I couldn't find any API regarding the mouse move or scroll events. Is there a workaround for this? Or is it possible to provide an API that triggers when I scroll the document?

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Fix for issue causing Split View to be disabled when using createDocument to open document with taskpane attached

So we've discovered that when using createDocument() to open a new document, if that document has a task pane associated with it that's set to auto-open with the document, the "Split" view (under View tab) will be forever disabled. The document is in "Print Layout" mode (default), and for some reason this particular document is causing "Split" to be disabled.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Add-in: Word  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base