Feedback by UserVoice

Feature Requests and Feedback

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow custom charts to be build on pivottables

We are developing an excel app that uses javascript charting libraries. We are able to connect to plain data and named tables, but the office.js API does not support pivot table connections. (if it does, please let us know, because we can`t find any documentation). having the ability to connect your own chart to a dynamic pivottable is key for any Business Intelligence report environment.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Programmatic access to C.R.U.D the PowerPivot Data Model

Programmatic CRUD of Data Model in Excel. Previously developers had full VBA access to manipulate recordsets. All this functionality has not been taken away with the introduction of the PowerPivot Data model. Microsoft will simply be bringing back what made Excel the most popular tool on the planet ... the ability to script and automate!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Microsoft to commission a book for Office App Development

Back when VBA was the only way to develop Office Applications, there were lots of Books for developers to learn and understand best practice. Since then, MS has went through VBA, .Net, VSTO, C# and now we've got the Office App Development model.

The Office Development community has become very fragmented as a result of this. How many developers know the path from VBA? Very few. How many know that VSTO is not the preferred way to develop for Office? How many know about the Office365 API's?

Office is an amazing suite of products. But the majority of developers are…

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Add-in: General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Native API Access for Apps for Office/Office Add-Ins

While it makes sense that Microsoft is trying to move towards Javascript for Office Add-Ins to easily support the multiple platforms Office is now available for, there are some things that almost every platform has available that are not properly usable from a web browser.

For example, having access to native cryptographic functions is much better than using web-browser based cryptographic functions (for any number of reasons including security and performance). Some other examples include geolocation and file system access.

While it may be possible to simply build in an exception for things like native cryptography (which would be very…

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Add-in: General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add tooltips to Excel spreadsheet tabs

Add the ability to put mouseover tooltips on the spreadsheet tabs in excel. This way if there are a lot of spreadsheets, abbreviations can be used so that more tabs can fit at the bottom of the screen and if a user is unsure what the abbreviation is they can mouseover the tab and see the whole name. Alternatively, the tooltip could be used to give a description of the contents of the tab.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Deploy particular version of App for Office/Office Add-In

Moving from VSTO, etc. to Apps for Office/Office Add-Ins customers have expressed concern that if I (the developer) deploy an app and they start using the app that they will no longer have control over when they update to the latest version of the app.

For instance say I deploy version 1 to the Office Store and the companies A and B install the add-in for all their employees. When I'm ready to deploy version 2, company A might be ready while company B might not. I'd like a way for companies (and ideally individuals as well) to be able…

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Office Store & Catalog  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Apps for Office/Office Add-in Library for Managing Office Documents

VBA/VSTO had different COM interfaces for managing PowerPoint, Word, Excel, etc. While it appears the end result is to give users access to the underlying OOXML (currently only available for Word), it will still be useful to allow users to navigate the schema of an Office document and do things like add PowerPoint Slides and Shapes without copy/pasting large XML blobs. Additionally, while OOXML support still seems far away for non-Word documents, the main components of this library are likely in use internally in creating the online versions of Word, PowerPoint and Excel.

To make the point obvious, Office.js bindings…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Add-in: General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Mail app for OWA can get information of a contact

i am building an app for OWA
    i want to get an contact

and from inputted contact,
    i want to get all information as department, job Title in Exchange online

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Add-in: Outlook  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. getSelectedDataAsync & getBodyAsync should be implemented for mail item.

We are building a calendar app where we need to read the information from the appointment body and process it. In the current API we only have setSelectedDataAsync on body not the getSelectedDataAsync.
    We would like to have getSelectedDataAsync so that we can complete the application flow.

It would also be really nice if we can get another method getBodyAsync which returns the entire body content, there are many usages of this in our app.
    s.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add sort/filter capability to app store.

Right now I get 10's to 100's of app results for a particular category. I'd like to be able to sort those results by 'most popular' (most added?), 'highest rated', cost (free/not free), etc. It's just a shimorgizboard of stuff right now, and makes me dread finding an app or building an app. I want users to find my app because it's the best (i.e. ratings), but they cannot do that with the current interface functionality. Right now my app would just be lost in the sea of other app's, so where's the developer incentive to build an awesome, low-cost…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Office Store & Catalog  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Enable "Send to back" functionality for content add-ins for PowerPoint

In my testing of content add-ins for Office I have found that the "Send to back/Bring to front" z-ordering does not work between the add-in component and other content in the slide. The add-in content is always in front of "native" content in the slide in the z-order. The z-ordering works between add-in content items. This means that you are not able to mix add-in content and native content in the slide - e.g. you can't add a text block over the top of an add-in element.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Add-in: PowerPoint  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Provide a feature which enables to create the bindings to named range which has multiple ranges in it

Can you please provide a feature which enables to create the bindings to named range which has multiple non contiguous ranges in it ?.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your request!

We are collecting API requirements for developing Office Add-ins in Excel, specifically for Events API.

If you are considering moving an existing COM/VSTO/VBA Add-in to Office Add-in, or creating a new Office Add-in in Excel, and have events requirements, please fill the survey below and help us focus on the right set of events and design. We truly appreciate your help!

https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=v4j5cvGGr0GRqy180BHbR-JHDwXr1WhPtbjLQNPOgHtUOFhNTTRVNEE5WE9VVzExOVY5Tko2V05TSi4u

Thanks!
    Office Extensibility Team

14. Possibility to read encoded files in the Office App

Currently, its not possible to open files (encoded with a key on the PC-version) on smartphones with the Office App. You have to use another App to do that.

It would be nice to make that work.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Office Store & Catalog  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add ability to access to mail message headers

In Outlook Mail app there is no ability to access to the message headers through JSOM.

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Add-in: Outlook  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Return response for MailItem.ShowCategoriesDialog Method (Outlook)

When calling MailItem.ShowCategoriesDialog programmatically, there is no way to tell if the dialog box is close due to the "ok" button, "cancel" button or "close (x)" button being clicked.

Please add something like an integer return to indicate the close behavior.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Bindings is getting Removed for Table when Table is inside the Text Binding Controls

I have uploaded the code to one drive...here is the link

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=AC13FB5219C13126!373&authkey=!APxbF470V75cCE4&ithint=file%2crar

Steps to reproduce:

1.Click the "Create content control button" to create the Text Binding.

2.Create table (3 cloumns and 5 rows) Inside the content control and then "Create Table Binding".the table bindings will be created for the table that you selected .

3.Click the button "GetandSetXML for ContentControl" to get and set the XML.

4.Once after the this, you can notice the Bindings for the table is getting lost.

Do let me know if u need more understanding on this scenario

please see the question I rased in…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Add-in: Word  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Allow to change content app size using api

Usually Excel Online and app for Office are on the different domains, so we can not access parent window document. Ability to control application size would improve usability a lot.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add ability to access to message body in read mode

In Outlook Mail app (read form) there is no ability to access to the message body in read mode through JSOM.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Universal Changed Event Support

Add a custom binding (named AllDocument binding) encompassing opened Powerpoint file , Excel File or Word file from Office.js so that a before chang event is raised to App. This will help with validations/ custom actions

77 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Add-in: General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base