Feedback by UserVoice

Feature Requests and Feedback

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Provide samples for Laravel PHP Framework

Laravel is the number 1 PHP framework, and includes an oauth system called 'Socialite' There are a huge number of socialte providers at http://socialiteproviders.github.io/ It would be great to see sample code / projects using Laravel and Socialite to connect to SharePoint online.

I would love to see an example where SPO can be used as a 'document store' for projects in Laravel. Other ideas include the standard list storage/retrieval/query mechanism for list items, calendar events. etc...

On a related note. Flarum.org is a forum built on Laravel, still in it's infancy, but all the rage in the PHP community…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Developer Programs & dev.office.com  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Enable creation and editing of freeform shapes from apps. Ideally one could create a freeform shape directly from an SVG path.

Enable creation and editing of freeform shapes (or any shape) from apps. Ideally one could create a freeform shape directly from an SVG path.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Add-in: General/Shared  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add read flag for MailBox API message object

Read/unread flag would be a nice addition to identify when email is read first time.

Currently outlook add-ins cannot know which emails are opened first time. Only way to achieve this kind of behavior is to keep track of itemId's.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Add-in: Outlook  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Fix the broken link for Outlook add-ins with Skype for Business installed

This is a problem in Outlook 2013. The summary is that the "Tell me more" link directs the user to a Skype for Business specific help page for ALL Outlook add-ins when the Skype Meeting Add-In is installed. I posted full details here:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/67c50a69-2f92-43ba-8c66-160a087aa7b7

This problem can be demonstrated with the simplest of Outlook add-ins. An example project that reproduces the problem can be found here:

https://github.com/danAtAllworx/simpleOutlookAddIn

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Provide a feature that allows EXCEL to read back verbally numbers within a range. This would allow a user to back check their entries.

I often enter long tables of number into my spread sheets. It would be nice to have feature that would allow you to highlight a range of cells, which would activate EXCEL to repeat each entry verbally (via headphones/speakers) back to the user so they may back check their entries.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Check the getFileAsync function funcionality in Excel Online

I've developed a very simple task pane add-in with Visual Studio 2015.
    I used the sample they have when you chose the template in Visual Studio. I changed it so I could run it in Internet Explorer in a SharePoint site. And when I click the button I call the getFileAsync function with the parameters: Office.FileType.Compressed, sliceSize: 2MG and the call back function which has a very simple console.log instruction ([as explained here]http://stackoverflow.com/questions/32078546/javascript-api-for-office-getfileasync-function-is-not-calling-callback) Yet I cannot get the console.log.. In fact, the last thing I get in the Javascript console is "Agave.HostCall.IssueCall" ..
    How can I solve this?…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Programmatically add an App to an Office Document

We need a way to programmatically create add an App to an existing Office Document. The use case is to provide users with documents that already have the App attached to it instead of asking to add it manually.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Add-in: General/Shared  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Redesign Office Store Information Architecture

Who is responsible for the information architecture of the Office App Store? the categories are far from helpful. They are overlapping and inconsistent. There is no hierarchy, I seldom can tell what category to use to refine my searching. They need to take a look at the commercial sites like BestBuy and create metadata that can be used to refine search results with helpful criteria

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Office Store & Catalog  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Token’s permissions returned by Mailbox.getCallbackTokenAsync method

The Mailbox.getCallbackTokenAsync method should return a token having the same permissions as specified by the mail app. For example the returned token should allow to read/write an item if the mail app has specified the ReadWriteItem or ReadWriteMailbox permission in its manifest. Currently the returned token allows its bearer (i.e. a web app receiving the token) only to read an item, not to write an item.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Allow custom charts to be build on pivottables

We are developing an excel app that uses javascript charting libraries. We are able to connect to plain data and named tables, but the office.js API does not support pivot table connections. (if it does, please let us know, because we can`t find any documentation). having the ability to connect your own chart to a dynamic pivottable is key for any Business Intelligence report environment.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Programmatic access to C.R.U.D the PowerPivot Data Model

Programmatic CRUD of Data Model in Excel. Previously developers had full VBA access to manipulate recordsets. All this functionality has not been taken away with the introduction of the PowerPivot Data model. Microsoft will simply be bringing back what made Excel the most popular tool on the planet ... the ability to script and automate!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Microsoft to commission a book for Office App Development

Back when VBA was the only way to develop Office Applications, there were lots of Books for developers to learn and understand best practice. Since then, MS has went through VBA, .Net, VSTO, C# and now we've got the Office App Development model.

The Office Development community has become very fragmented as a result of this. How many developers know the path from VBA? Very few. How many know that VSTO is not the preferred way to develop for Office? How many know about the Office365 API's?

Office is an amazing suite of products. But the majority of developers are…

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Add-in: General/Shared  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Native API Access for Apps for Office/Office Add-Ins

While it makes sense that Microsoft is trying to move towards Javascript for Office Add-Ins to easily support the multiple platforms Office is now available for, there are some things that almost every platform has available that are not properly usable from a web browser.

For example, having access to native cryptographic functions is much better than using web-browser based cryptographic functions (for any number of reasons including security and performance). Some other examples include geolocation and file system access.

While it may be possible to simply build in an exception for things like native cryptography (which would be very…

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Add-in: General/Shared  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add tooltips to Excel spreadsheet tabs

Add the ability to put mouseover tooltips on the spreadsheet tabs in excel. This way if there are a lot of spreadsheets, abbreviations can be used so that more tabs can fit at the bottom of the screen and if a user is unsure what the abbreviation is they can mouseover the tab and see the whole name. Alternatively, the tooltip could be used to give a description of the contents of the tab.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Deploy particular version of App for Office/Office Add-In

Moving from VSTO, etc. to Apps for Office/Office Add-Ins customers have expressed concern that if I (the developer) deploy an app and they start using the app that they will no longer have control over when they update to the latest version of the app.

For instance say I deploy version 1 to the Office Store and the companies A and B install the add-in for all their employees. When I'm ready to deploy version 2, company A might be ready while company B might not. I'd like a way for companies (and ideally individuals as well) to be able…

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Office Store & Catalog  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Apps for Office/Office Add-in Library for Managing Office Documents

VBA/VSTO had different COM interfaces for managing PowerPoint, Word, Excel, etc. While it appears the end result is to give users access to the underlying OOXML (currently only available for Word), it will still be useful to allow users to navigate the schema of an Office document and do things like add PowerPoint Slides and Shapes without copy/pasting large XML blobs. Additionally, while OOXML support still seems far away for non-Word documents, the main components of this library are likely in use internally in creating the online versions of Word, PowerPoint and Excel.

To make the point obvious, Office.js bindings…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Add-in: General/Shared  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Provide rules to automatically run task pane and mail apps

Add rules to manifest to support application run automatically, e.g. task pane should automatically appear after user clicks New Items -> Appointment in Outlook. I realize that this might be inappropriate for apps in store, but it will be very helpful for corporate apps. We can save time to access corporate app for end user.

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Mail app for OWA can get information of a contact

i am building an app for OWA
    i want to get an contact

and from inputted contact,
    i want to get all information as department, job Title in Exchange online

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. getSelectedDataAsync & getBodyAsync should be implemented for mail item.

We are building a calendar app where we need to read the information from the appointment body and process it. In the current API we only have setSelectedDataAsync on body not the getSelectedDataAsync.
    We would like to have getSelectedDataAsync so that we can complete the application flow.

It would also be really nice if we can get another method getBodyAsync which returns the entire body content, there are many usages of this in our app.
    s.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Add sort/filter capability to app store.

Right now I get 10's to 100's of app results for a particular category. I'd like to be able to sort those results by 'most popular' (most added?), 'highest rated', cost (free/not free), etc. It's just a shimorgizboard of stuff right now, and makes me dread finding an app or building an app. I want users to find my app because it's the best (i.e. ratings), but they cannot do that with the current interface functionality. Right now my app would just be lost in the sea of other app's, so where's the developer incentive to build an awesome, low-cost…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Office Store & Catalog  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base