Feedback by UserVoice

Feature Requests and Feedback

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow access to the addresses of selected cells via the Apps for Office Excel APIs

Allow access to the cell address of selected cells – With the new Apps for Office APIs most things that can be achieved are via “binding to cells”. Often this binding is based on cells the user has selected. There is no way to get the actual Excel cell addresses of these cells which makes things very difficult and complex workarounds are needed that over complicate the user experience.

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi there,
    We’re happy to say that this is now possible with new Excel JavaScript APIs. Please see http://dev.office.com/reference/add-ins/excel/range and the address property for more information.

To find even more about all these new APIs, please check out our API documentation on http://dev.office.com/docs/add-ins/excel/excel-add-ins-javascript-programming-overview or https://github.com/OfficeDev/office-js-docs/tree/master/excel.

Thank you,
    Office Extensibility Team

2. Extend Office.js api to allow Task Pane apps more control of document content

Some other useful additions to the Office.js api if possible are functions created to make the following available:

Get the url/file path of the current document

Manipulate text ranges in the document

Get the word under the caret position

Get all document contents

If any of these are implemented this would enable us to create a much richer experience for the users of our Education Technology apps.

67 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Add-in: Word  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Gavan, thanks for your feedback! We’re happy to report that all of your original API requests are now available in the Word JS API. Juan Balmori has provided code snippets for these APIs in the comments. Please check it out and give us feedback.

Regarding the new ideas you’ve asked for in the comments, we request that you please create individual items for each API or feature request in UserVoice. That’ll help us track the requests more efficiently.

Here’re the requests, for your reference:

Ability to save the current document to a specific location
    Ability to open a file
    Ability to print:
    to a specific printer
    in a specific page format
    to specific trays

Thanks!

3. Make the RequestAccessEmail property available in CSOM

Currently we are not able to set Request Access Email setting for a site.

357 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    13 comments  ·  Add-in: Outlook  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Ability to trigger refresh of Pivot Tables via the Excel Apps for Office APIs

Pivot Tables and Pivot Charts are one of the most powerful and used elements of Excel. Many Apps developed for Excel will benefit from being able to force a pivot table refresh after bringing new data into a workbook. Not being able to do this makes for a poor user experience for Apps that require Pivot Tables as a user has to manually refresh pivot tables. Many basic users will not know how to do this or will want to know why they should need to.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add control to the embedded Excel charts API

I know that I can use external Javascript API's to draw charts on my app, but I would prefer use the original Excel charts.

Also, it would be great if it was possible to add new html content to the spreadsheet in which I could draw my chart.

Thanks for your time !

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Create a new Word Online document

Add a function in Office.js to create a new Word online document to the logged in user's OneDrive account.

This call would utilize the code behind the "+new" button in OneDrive by generating a new Word Online document in the top level folder location.

Also add the ability to append content to this new document.

Finally add the ability to open this document.

e.g Pseudocode:

// Create a document in memory:
    var doc = WordOnline.Create();

//Insert paragraph
    doc.InsertParagraph("This is my first paragraph");

//open document
    doc.Launch();

This would be of great benefit to educational task pane apps for creating specific lesson…

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Add-in: Word  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Need API change log (Evergreen)

From MVP Summit 2013: Need to add Evergreen info (version/SKU support). People seemed to like the plan to key off of build number. Shield Team review: "Feature request ... change log for all API content. Would require build changes and new build metadata." See Product Studio [Bug 1482197 - OfficeMain].

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Developer portals & programs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow app to create new sheets on Excel 2013

It will be a good move if office js is able to create new work sheets in Excel with Task pane apps.
    Right now i dont think the office js providing this feature.

54 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  10 comments  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add a method which returns the coordinates of the current selection on the document

I'm currently developing a statistic plug-in in which users need to select multiple times different parts of their sheet before doing the final calculus.

Everything is working fine because of the possibility to get the selected data but I need to improve my plug-in ergonomy.

I would like to be able to show a preview of his selection to the user in an input type text while he provides informations before validating a form.

I think this functionality is very important for user experience on Office 365.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi there,
    We’re happy to say that this is now possible with new Excel JavaScript APIs. Please see http://dev.office.com/reference/add-ins/excel/workbook for more information. You can have an API call like workbook.worksheet.getSelectedRange().address to get the address of the current selection.

To find even more about all these new APIs, please check out our API documentation on http://dev.office.com/docs/add-ins/excel/excel-add-ins-javascript-programming-overview or https://github.com/OfficeDev/office-js-docs/tree/master/excel.

Thank you,

10. Provide Mail App Compose functionality to Save current appointment/mail

I'm currently working on a Mail Compose App and I need the ItemId of the current Appointment (or mail), so I can communicate with the message in a later stadium using EWS. But currently it's not possible the save the current Appointment/Mail and therefor an ItemID is only available after the user is manually saving the appointment/message.

I also noticed that ItemID is only available in a Read Form. In Compose form this value is always undefined.

90 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Add-in: Outlook  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Provide the ability to add custom links to the Suite Bar

Many of our customers require a few links to major sites or applications in their environment to appear on every page in their Office 365 / SharePoint Online environment.

The Suite Bar is often considered a good place for these kinds of links. It would be great to be able to configure a few custom links for rendering in the Suite Bar

90 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Office Store & Catalog  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add option to search on Custom Properties using EWS

When creating an App for Office we can store values in Custom Properties of the Mail or Appointment. It would be great if we are able to search for Emails or Appointments based on the Key/Value of an Custom Property using Exchange Web Services.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Retrive attached files via Outlook JavaScript API

Today you can only retrieve the attachment metadata from outlook messages but not the file itself. For that you need to build a remote service separate from the app.

Modern browsers support the File API. Let us use it to work with attachments in Outlook. It would be very useful for integration with document management systems such as SharePoint.

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Add-in: Outlook  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. add formatting to matrixbinding

Add the capacity to do formatting (like for tablebinding) but for matrixbinding.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi there,
    We’re happy to say that this is now possible with new Excel JavaScript APIs. Please see http://dev.office.com/reference/add-ins/excel/rangeFormat for more information.

Thank you,

15. UCWA for Lync 365

Hi

Do you plan on releasing UCWA for Lync 365?

Thanks

176 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    13 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Add-in: Word  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Provide Office365 Exchange Task API Support

Although some Exchange functionality is supported in Office365, the Tasks are not one of them yet. Please consider adding Tasks support to the API.

62 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Customisable SuiteBar

The suitebar concept is a great idea to allow the user to navigate around the Office365 and on-prem SP worlds. Where it falls down is that it is defined and can not be added to or changed.

The following are common requests from client projects:

> Can we put our logo in the top left instead of the Office365 logo? And can it navigate to the tenant root ie '/' instead of the public Microsoft site.
    > Can we add additional items to it such as the intranet portal or other line of business entry site.
    > Can i change…

139 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Office Store & Catalog  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Dedicated environments for dev,test and for promoting to production for every subscription that organizations purchase.

There should be dedicated environments for dev,test and for promoting to production for every subscription that organizations purchase.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Developer portals & programs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Excel Apps - Ability to protect/unprotect sheets and workbook programatically

Protecting and unprotecting sheets and workbooks is a key feature requirement for using Office Apps for OLTP systems.
    The main idea is to fill the gap between VSTO features and Office Apps. This will help in easy portability of VSTO based apps to Office apps.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Add-in: Excel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base